PDA

View Full Version : Snails dying off

conk12301
04/16/2012, 03:52 PM
So my 55g FOWLR has been having a problem with inverts. The original batch of snails I had in the tank has all gradually died off -- yet the hermits are going strong still.

Would could be the cause of this?

The tank is tough to describe in a sense. I had a 36g reef up for about a year. This had lots of algae problems and the CUC was always busy. A few months ago, I switched all live stock (CUC included - corals excluded) into a new 55 gallon set up. The tank is rather understocked -- so it keeps kind of clean. Not much algae except on the glass.

Ever since I switched the snails have died off. Yet the hermits lived. It would make sense that maybe the tank is too "clean" for them -- but then why wouldn't the hermits die too?

By the way, fish are going completely strong.

Only other thing that has died in the last year or so has been a cleaner shrimp. Another invert.

Any clues on what might be causing this? Is there something that maybe snails NEED that hermits don't?

Oh - and lastly - to throw another wrench into things: my three nassarius snails are going strong. I can't make sense of this.

Jacob Sellers
04/16/2012, 03:53 PM
My hermits ate my snails.

HaKs310
04/16/2012, 04:10 PM
I would think that the snails just didn't have enough algae to go around. The hermits and nassaurius mainly feed off of any uneaten food or detritus that drifts their way.

But that's just my opinion.

tangs_tank
04/16/2012, 05:03 PM
Its normally lack of food for them. I had the same problem for a while so I don't stock as many snails unless I need them.

J-Burns
04/16/2012, 05:42 PM
my hermits ate my snails. +1

yachtdr22
04/21/2012, 12:18 AM
+1

+2 ??:uzi:

tony53176
04/21/2012, 12:27 AM
what are your water parameters, I don't know about hermit crabs but I know that snails are very sensitive to high, and I'm only talking more than 10ppm, nitrates.

jerpa
04/21/2012, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing predation as well. If the tank is very clean the crabs will eat the snails. The nassarius can hide safely under the sand but I assume would be effected by any parameter problems.

aleonn
04/21/2012, 11:43 AM
Predation (I never trust any crab, JMO; also check for pistol/mantis hitch hiker shrimp), water parameters, toxins (history of copper use), possibly excessive magnesium, and lack of food could be factors.

Also, what snails did you get? Some species are cold water species (I think Mexican turbos or Margarita snails, I forget which), and would eventually die in a typical tank.

sucker_fish
04/21/2012, 12:32 PM
I would definitely bring the hermits in for questioning. My hermits used to off my snails then steal their shells. I actually think they were more of opportunists, if a snail fell off the glass and landed upside down it was done, crab gets a good meal and a new home out of the deal.

zeebies
04/21/2012, 12:42 PM
You may have a hidden predator worm that goes after snails. I'm dealing with this right now:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20163450#post20163450