PDA

View Full Version : Using RKL to dose Kalk

bobssecrtsn
04/16/2012, 08:22 PM
HELLO reefers! i finally got my big 3 in check and now im trying to dose KALK through my TOP OFF. can you guys tell me if i got it right? im using my RKL to controll my top off and pH

so, this is what im using.
FLOAT switch( from autotopoff.com ) to control my AQUA lifter pump.
RKL to control pH

this is how i set up my RKL.

MODE = auto
Function = Controller
Device = pH
Setpoint = 8.25
Hysteresis = 0.05
On When = Below

Alarm = 01
Action = OFF

Alarm = 01/ Flash and BEEP
Device pH
Setpoint = 8.30
Trip = Above

is this right? i have a feeling that my return pump is going to fry if my ph rises to fast and will shut down my Aquatic lifter,

ATM i Evap. 1.5G of water 24hours
I've read what your Gma never told you.
I've read alot of thread about using Kalk.

Or, i can use a Timer for example, from 12AM start pump 12:01AM stop pump, run that till 1.5 g of evap water enters my system. and shut off if pH rises ABOVE 8.33.

ddmiller38
04/16/2012, 10:05 PM
unless you buy another float value and have it set to come on if the PH is over 8.3 as your top off.

Reefkeeper form is http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com

bertoni
04/16/2012, 10:34 PM
I would program the device to stop the kalk if the pH rises above 8.5 or so. I would not have a turn-on point other than an ATO switch. I'm not sure what your program does.

bobssecrtsn
04/16/2012, 10:52 PM
I would program the device to stop the kalk if the pH rises above 8.5 or so. I would not have a turn-on point other than an ATO switch. I'm not sure what your program does.

8.5 would be to much for me. i run my pH 8.2. im not sure if you know how RKL works, but ill try to break it down..

RKL has 4 outlets. which is all controllable. my ATO is on outlet #3. i programmed #3 so when pH is +/-.10 it will turn off/on. so if my pH is lower then 8.1 then the outlet will turn on. but then it runs into the FLOAT via ATO if the float is not triggered by low water then the ATO will not turn on. but if the ATO is triggered it will turn on. INCASE if my pH runs over 8.37 my RKL will shut down outlet #3 .

bertoni
04/16/2012, 11:47 PM
I probably would leave the ATO on as much as possible. Organisms all can regulate their internal pH very strictly, but many can't regulate their internal SG. A tank can run at pH 8.4 or so without any kalk at all. I had some that did.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/17/2012, 06:16 AM
I agree that pH 8.5 or 8.6 is a good upper limit. Depending on your home CO2 level, you may never approach that anyway (or even pH 8.3), but if you have normal CO2 levels, you may not end up being able to dose enough limewater to maintain alkalinity if you limit the pH to 8.3.

Be sure to not just let pH drive the additions. You need to monitor alkalinity . :)

JAustin
04/17/2012, 08:50 AM
That's how I had my Kalk ATO setup. I had the float switch trigger the Kalk dosing via normal top off dose, but I had the RKE only allow the ATO to run as long as PH stayed below 8.4. My Return pump section would get a little low during the day but when the night came and my tank evaped less water, the ATO would kick on based on PH being under 8.4. By the time the morning rolled around, my ATO will have cought up to filling the pump section all the way and PH would be 8.2-8.3 and ready to start the day of top off and kalk dosning.

Worked out great!

bobssecrtsn
04/17/2012, 07:34 PM
thanks! for your feed back. i got it down. but my pH is still fluctuating. in the am its from 8.2 and by the time lights turn off its 8.32ish

bertoni
04/17/2012, 08:22 PM
That's a small swing for a tank, actually, and I would ignore it. Having a pH change is normal because photosynthesis consumes carbon dioxide from the water column.

JAustin
04/17/2012, 08:33 PM
That PH swing is well with in range. That wouldn't bother anything in your reef.

bobssecrtsn
04/17/2012, 09:00 PM
i have another question, im using Kalk+2 from brightwell and it says it has some mag in it, do i still have to suppliment mag?

i would just have to test and find out huh ?

bertoni
04/17/2012, 10:00 PM
The magnesium in the Kalk+2 will precipitate due to the high pH, so it won't make it into the tank.