PDA

View Full Version : rescued coral....need help badly

MBMtech
04/17/2012, 11:00 AM
I rescued this from a tank last night being broken down. It's not doing too well. I have no idea what it is, and what i can do to try and nurse it back to health. Previous owner had them placed too close to top of tank under some pretty harsh florecent lighting (very little actinic spectrum in his lighting combo). They may be too far gone to help, but I'm going to try. It was rinsed in some coral-revive cleanser before putting into tank. They are placed on bottom of tank. 2 of the 4 heads are totally dead, 1 head is half gone, and 1 head is still "alive".:sad2:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/eclipsergt/IMAG0148.jpg

dsmhero
04/17/2012, 07:55 PM
Just leave it alone and let it adjust to your tank. I really dont think there is much else you can do.

cjk76
04/18/2012, 04:57 AM
You might want to frag off the bad heads to prevent infection

MBMtech
04/18/2012, 05:27 AM
I've never fraged before on something like this. What is the best way to go about it?

Justin74
04/19/2012, 10:32 PM
Unless there's obvious signs of existing infection, ie., brown jelly; you'd be better served by just leaving it alone, don't pound it with heavy light if yours is intense, especially if more intense than the tank it's coming out of. Also a good idea to make sure your own perams are perfect, dkH, Mg, Ca, and phosphates and it should be just fine.

Looks like its a stressed duncan coral. Looking at the edges and amount of tissue, looks like it wants to come back though.

-Justin

Justin74
04/19/2012, 10:35 PM
Btw, a steady and skilled hand and some bone cutters would make quick work of that in regards to fragmenting. Or a diamond blade dremel or bandsaw would also make a quick clean cut. Just try and stay at least a half inch from the line of where tissue and bone meet, so when it fluffs back up it still has a good structure to expand and retract around :)

-Justin

xdannyxrocksx
04/23/2012, 11:24 PM
I would let is sit for a couple days and then do a quick iodine dip to help with infections..why frag and stress it, I feel like a quick iodine dip would be less stressing for it. Then after it starts to heal and the heads remains dead just frag it.

BigCountry74
04/24/2012, 01:07 PM
I would let is sit for a couple days and then do a quick iodine dip to help with infections..why frag and stress it, I feel like a quick iodine dip would be less stressing for it. Then after it starts to heal and the heads remains dead just frag it.

x2

after letting it sit, invest in a dremel (one of the best house/garage tools I own by the way - i use it everywhere) and perhaps frag the dead heads off. it was free so likely a great candidate for your first frag try.

kurt_n
04/24/2012, 10:33 PM
Yup... it's a Duncan. Seems pretty ticked off, but I bet if you just leave it alone, it'll start perking up in a week or so. Just make sure it's in a low/moderate flow area so it's not getting blasted. There's still a fair amount of tissue there, so it seem rescuable.