PDA

View Full Version : Good heater?

MBizzo
04/17/2012, 12:48 PM
I'm new to reef tanks, what is a good heater for a 50 gallon tank + 18 gallon sump so 68 gallons total. I want something that is reliable and accurate.

Playa-1
04/17/2012, 01:14 PM
None of the heaters available are especially reliable or accurate. Some are better then others. The Eheim/Jager are about as good as a glass heater gets in the hobby, If you're looking for something that isn't as easily broken then the Titanium Heater by JBJ would be the way to go IMO. It's a good idea to figure the amount of heat that you need and then divide that between two heaters. In your case I would go with two 100 watt heaters. One in the DT and one in the sump offset by a couple of degrees. Then I would recommend some type of a temp controller like the Ranco or a tank controller to act as a fail-safe for the heaters thermometer. That will give you a couple of extra layers of protection from a heater failing in the on or off position. People loose their tanks all the time to inexpensive faulty heaters without safeguards in place.