PDA

View Full Version : Stomatopods near Pittsburgh, PA!

Alesia
04/17/2012, 08:20 PM
Hey all! I don't usually post on here and haven't logged in since 2010... but anyway...

I wanted to spread the word that Elmer's Aquarium near Pittsburgh, PA has three stomatopods in stock in thoroughly inadequate conditions. According to the store, they ordered one as a "curiosity", but received three. They seem to have two little L. macs (male and female, I believe) that are both in the ~3" size range. They're in 10g bare bottom tanks with 2-3 pieces of LR rubble. They also have a ~4" peacock in... a 2 gallon Fluval spec with a single piece of LR. Prices seemed high to me ($120 per L. mac, $100 for the peacock) but I haven't been active in the hobby for a few years.

I just feel terrible for the little guys. I already emailed the store in the hopes that they could give them some PVC burrows or something and received a response, but I'd love to see them go to a hobbyist who knows how to take care of them. Just thought I'd spread the word to see if anyone in the region is looking for either of these species!

Thanks!

TundraGuy
04/18/2012, 05:42 AM
I see this all the time. And the prices the fish stores want breaks my heart cus with the poor conditions they provide I just want to scoop them all up. But then they ask for 4 times the normal going rate. $100 for a peacock (probly has shell rot development from the store) I can find them for $45 shipped to my door with a guaranty. It shows that the store has at least a 3 time mark up on the live stock. That makes me mad. I agree stores need to make money to stay open, but come on $120, and your breaking the cardinal rules on keeping these animals healthy.

Sorry tamper flared. I hope someone can get involved and bring them home.

Jacwil
04/18/2012, 06:12 AM
I can find them for $45 shipped to my door with a guaranty.

Heyo!! Do tell this resource!!!

gpx1200
04/18/2012, 07:18 AM
Heyo!! Do tell this resource!!!
same here ill order one today.