PDA

View Full Version : Par38 height from tank?

aljan
04/17/2012, 09:28 PM
186021i have a shallow rimless tank of
L30xW25xH15". its mostly an anemone
tank. i have an rbta ive had for more than 4 months and has not lost any coloration. my lights are 3x Par38. they used to sit about 9.5 inches above the water, but this week i lifted it by 3".

so now my lights are 12.5" above my
water level and im wondering if others can give me advice as to the proper height i should have? i raised it up for more coverage and as an experiment. i was thinking it was too close.

any inputs are welcome, im open to adding more par38 bulbs if you guys think i need to also. thank you!

Ertan
04/18/2012, 12:04 PM
186021i have a shallow rimless tank of
L30xW25xH15". its mostly an anemone
tank. i have an rbta ive had for more than 4 months and has not lost any coloration. my lights are 3x Par38. they used to sit about 9.5 inches above the water, but this week i lifted it by 3".

so now my lights are 12.5" above my
water level and im wondering if others can give me advice as to the proper height i should have? i raised it up for more coverage and as an experiment. i was thinking it was too close.

any inputs are welcome, im open to adding more par38 bulbs if you guys think i need to also. thank you!

I have 2x21w par38 over my 11.4g Mr. Aqua tank. One bulb 9 inch and the other is 12 inch above the water. You should be able to tell if your corals are happy or not. My first setup was 2x27w Par38 It was so intense, some of my corals bleached due to high intensity and wrong acclimation, Now I switched to 21 watt and now they seem happy with the light distance. My par38s are with 60 deg. wide spread lens, they cover petty much the entire area, led color mixing is great and most importantly my corals are happy so I'm happy:)

IMO I would say ideal distance between light and water 9-12"

Adding more par38's; it's your call, I don't know what type of corals you will keep in the future and I don't know any details about your bulb. I've seen my par38's side by side with other brands at the local store, One looked like a candle light and I made my choice based on comparison. I'm really happy now.