PDA

View Full Version : Setting up used fish tank biocube

forumz
04/19/2012, 03:14 PM
Hi, i bought a used 8 gallon biocube today and i was wondering if it was absolutely necessary to clean off all the algae and calcium from the previous owner? i seem to have gotten most of the algae off, but there are still a couple bits here and there. not to mention some calcium too left on the backwall of the tank. the glass is entirely clean right now, so it's just the plastic wall in the back that is still covered in bits and pieces of algae and calcium. Are there any ill effects I should know of if i leave those small bits of algae in without taking it off? thanks for your help guys.

DoubleM 10
04/19/2012, 03:16 PM
if it were me i would only because im anal about that kind of stuff if i buy it used things

sponger0
04/19/2012, 03:19 PM
I wouldnt worry about it. Its gonna get covered by algae again in time.

thegrun
04/19/2012, 03:25 PM
If you are talking about the glass that you are viewing the tank through you should get it all off now while it is much easier to deal with. I wouldn't bother at all with the back wall unless you plan on keeping it clan also. A 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water works great for cleaning.

forumz
04/19/2012, 04:04 PM
awesome. thanks for the quick reply guys. looks like i'll be visiting this site more often now. gonna upgrade from my tiny 3 gallon to this slightly bigger 8 gallon once cycling is done haha. i'm just gonna leave the calcium/bits of small algae on the back tank. as long as its not on the glass i'm fine with it. i was just worried since the algae and calcium were probably a week old or so that it would have a negative effect on the water.

forumz
04/19/2012, 04:06 PM
also, any ideas on how i should setup the filtration system for the biocube? it came with some bioballs but from what i read people don't like to use those. I was thinking of using carbon and possibly some filter floss for now until the tank is cycled. then pull out the carbon and replace it with purigen...

kingevil
04/19/2012, 04:07 PM
im anal

eww

duckmeat
05/22/2012, 05:47 AM
How about hard water stains? I bought a 55 gal tank that was sitting in a damp basement and got stains on the inside of glass. I rub them and nothing takes it off.