PDA

View Full Version : Valentini puffer question...

KRAZE
04/19/2012, 03:29 PM
Are these guys always highly aggresive? Or just always hungry?

I have a little guy, about 2.5 inches and he is in with a mocha clown, tailspot goby, domino damsel and 2 other black and white striped damsels. He doesn't bother any of my other fish, and never touches an coral (so far its some pulsing xenia, green scoli, a few different zoa colonies and 2 colonies of clove polyps).

However, I have lost all my inverts in the first day or two after putting them in. I found the remains of my blue tuxedo urchin, a green urchin, my cleaner shrimp. I have still yet to see the pistol shrimp since he went in, but they hide fairly well. Same goes for the emerald crab.

My big brittle star is fine, but all those little white starfish that infest tanks, they have disappeared.

I know he was eating my snails, only one turbo and the nassarius snails who bury in the sand remain. All my hermit crabs are fine. I bought him a small clam (from stop and shop lol) hoping he would eat that, but he ignored it and now i have a normal old clam living in my tank shooting sand everywhere hahaha

So, think its the puffer? Or something else with my tank that just cant sustain inverts for some reason?

Irenicus
04/19/2012, 04:55 PM
Puffers will decimate an invertebrate population; it's their natural diet.

MrTuskfish
04/20/2012, 01:12 PM
Puffers will decimate an invertebrate population; it's their natural diet.

Sure; this is good info to research BEFORE you buy a fish.

KRAZE
04/25/2012, 01:26 PM
Sure; this is good info to research BEFORE you buy a fish.

I'll have you know that i got 5 damsels and the puffer for FREE off craigslist, and i used them as my first fish in the tank. I research every new fish i actually BUY. The puffer came from a tank that had coral & shrimp. I know a puffers diet, so i thought he might be a mellow one considering where he came from.

I'm gonna put him back up on CL for free, he has done enough damage lol Or better yet, i'll bring him to work and put him in a tank and get $10. (I'm the reptile dept manager at a Marine and Reptile shop)