PDA

View Full Version : Killing Problem Algae

btreyes
04/19/2012, 06:38 PM
I have a bunch of hair algae and cyano-looking algae in my seahorse/reef/macroalgae tank. My friend was telling me to turn off the lights for 2-3 days. Will this kill the macroalgae? I want to keep my graciliaria, caluerpa, halimeda, and dragon's breath alive, but kill all of the hair and other types of problem algae. I plan on turning on the overhead light for an hour each day to feed the seahorses, will this allow the problem algae to survive?

btreyes
04/23/2012, 12:32 PM
anyone?

Veganbrian
04/27/2012, 11:31 PM
I'd say don't feed to much. Cut back and run lights for 3-5 hours a day for a few days. Do water changes and maybe gravel vac. Worked for me.

wnppmy
04/28/2012, 07:41 AM
Again I'm new here but had a bad case of red slime building, link on this says to cover for 3 days and really reduced my issue, have lots of live tho nano tank and all did great even the cleaner shrimp and anemonoe as well as mushroom etc. Strongly suggest this did great for me, if any comes back can repeat 30 day intervals. Like it as a no chemical procedure, fed the fish flake food before dawn with micro amounts plankton for scallop and dusters. Was easy.

Go easy on feeding fed just once daily controlled minimal amounts. They will readily accept it no reason to starve anything, just be careful.

Thought gads I lost my cleaner shrimp as was floating about on end of 3rd day, simply decided to molt was the skeleton, relief, he's quite well.

Disher
04/29/2012, 11:49 AM
What kind of CUC do you have? Look into some of the small variety cerith snails and maybe a hermit or two. I have a ton of nassarius and cerith snails in my 10g all macro algae tank and they do a heck of a job cleaning up unwanted micro algae.