PDA

View Full Version : Pistol shrimp

MaxxedMan
04/20/2012, 12:24 PM
He's not digging his burrow where I want, I thought I was very clear about it. He's only been here 1 hour and starting digging where he landed from the net. Maybe he'll pick a better place later.

tebstan
04/20/2012, 12:28 PM
I occasionally blast my sand with a turkey baster to clean it up, and in the process block some cave entrances. The shrimp will be irate (I hear the clicking) but goes to work to reconstruct them or move them elsewhere. He has at least 5 cave openings at a time. I always wonder what the tunnels look like under the rock.

If you've only had him an hour... just wait, he'll explore the whole place in time.

I give him flat shells (cleaned, from the beach) to play with. Some he uses for doors, ceilings, and walls, and some he angrily throws out of his burrows. I haven't figured out why some don't make the cut.

MaxxedMan
04/20/2012, 01:08 PM
Hour later he and my goby are pair where I wanted them. Tank is cloudy but I expect a couple months of that.

ganjero
04/20/2012, 01:47 PM
Hour later he and my goby are pair where I wanted them. Tank is cloudy but I expect a couple months of that.

Sorry, but why would you expect a couple of month of cloudiness?

snorvich
04/20/2012, 02:14 PM
I have multiple pistol shrimps (some non-commensal ones as well) and my tanks are not cloudy.

tebstan
04/20/2012, 02:18 PM
Sorry, but why would you expect a couple of month of cloudiness?

I wondered too... is the tank still cycling? Sugar fine sand, perhaps? If it's the sand, and its stirred up that easily, a pistol shrimp may not be ideal...

I have multiple pistol shrimps (some non-commensal ones as well) and my tanks are not cloudy.

They don't fight? I thought the pistols where aggressive hunters.

MaxxedMan
04/21/2012, 03:23 PM
My sand isn't rinsed. The stirring knocks up dust which my fine filter pulls out. I knew it would, it's why I bought a sand sifter.

RINSE YOUR SAND :)