PDA

View Full Version : Coral and Reef USA magazine article on anemones

lilyost4290
04/20/2012, 12:38 PM
I just picked up the first issue of Coral & Reef USA Magazine today to do a bit of research for an upcoming project I'm working on. To my astonishment, there was an article about anemone keeping and home aquaria, that says "Heteractis crispa, Entacmaea quadricolor, Stichodactyla gigantea, and S. haddoni are other [in addition to H. magnifica] Indo-Pacific species that may easily be kept in aquaria."

I was a bit outraged and surprised that a publication dedicated to reef keeping and describes itself as "the last word on reefkeeping" would boast a claim that these delicate creatures are easily kept in aquaria, when listing particularly S. gigantea and H. magnifica, which are two of the most difficult creatures to sustain in captivity.

Further in the article, the authors write "Sea anemones are generaly not fussy guests, requiring only a few basic essentials to keep them happy and healthy in an aquarium."

At this point, I'm pretty disgusted at the lack of responsibility by the authors and editors at understating the care requirements of these invertebrates. But the authors still aren't finished. They then go on to say that "Regardless of their provenance, be it the tropical regions of the Indo-Pacific or the Atlantic, or the temperate habitats of northerly shores, most species are hardy and will easily adapt to captive conditions. You can even keep several species of sea anemones in the same tank."

Has anyone else on these forums read this article? Am I missing something that happened recently where anemones suddenly became beginner inverts? Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts or show me where I'm wrong. If the authors are on here, I think it'd be great to have your input too.

Catchoftheday
04/20/2012, 12:45 PM
Tagging along

lilyost4290
04/20/2012, 02:09 PM
also interesting to note is that a separate sidebar in a different article in the magazine (this one about lighting in aquaria) says that bubble tip and haddoni anemones can get by on just 50 PAR and magnifica and gigantea anemones can survive with 100. Compared to the 80 PAR recommended minimum for candy cane, favia, and euphyllia corals and the 200 minimum for birdsnest corals.

garygb
04/20/2012, 04:05 PM
I haven't seen the article, but I agree with you, to say H. magnifica and S. gigantea are "easy" to keep does seem irresponsible. Even though nowadays we have a significantly better understanding of anemones' needs compared to say 10 or 15 years ago--and a lot more successes, the fact remains their survival rates are still poor. A well established mag or gigantea (or crispa or haddoni) can tolerate a lot less than ideal conditions and then rebound once conditions improve. But for them to thrive long-term, these are demanding animals, the antithesis of "easy" by my way of thinking.

rayn
04/20/2012, 04:33 PM
I have to disagree with it, though l havent seen the article. My track record with nems is dismal at best. From bta to carpets, l have no luck. My current carpet is doing decent, but l would not call it "easy to care for".

elegance coral
04/20/2012, 04:59 PM
Who is the author of this article?

lilyost4290
04/20/2012, 05:11 PM
the article on anemones was written by Jean-Francois Hamel and Annie Mercer.

elegance coral
04/20/2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I really couldn't find much info on these two, other than the fact that they wrote a book about the St. Lawrence river.:confused:

I did a little more searching and found some "bonus content" to the article you talked about.
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-magazines/coral-and-reef-usa/2012/anemone-symbioses.aspx

After reading the link above, it's obvious to me that these two should not be writing articles about clown fish and/or anemones. It's a shame, but this type of thing is common place in our hobby. Pretty much anyone can write an article. Even if they have no clue what they're writing about.:sad2:

velvetelvis
04/20/2012, 07:35 PM
This

"Some researchers postulate that the presence of symbiotic fishes has enabled many species of sea anemones to spread and grow larger, hence the term “carpet anemones,” because they do not need to retract to protect themselves anymore."

is a beaut. It's a shame that you don't need some kind of legitimate credentials in order to publish articles in popular magazines. SMH

lilyost4290
04/20/2012, 08:36 PM
Heres their credential, as listed in the magazine:

"Jean-Francois Hamel and Annie Mercer are research scientists specializing in the study of marine invertebrates. A husband-and-wife team, they are also writer-photographers and have been fervent aquarium hobbyists for more than 20 years."

BonsaiNut
04/20/2012, 10:21 PM
I did a little more searching and found some "bonus content" to the article you talked about.
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-magazines/coral-and-reef-usa/2012/anemone-symbioses.aspx

I don't think the person who wrote this speaks English as a primary language. It reads like a badly translated article from a kid's magazine. Sad :(

SDguy
04/21/2012, 06:39 AM
Honestly, I stopped looking at that magazine after their butterflyfish article...

Some fun facts according to the article (paraphrased):

It's cruel to keep butterflies in a FO type system. Not keeping them in a reef is what causes them to be more susceptible to disease, because it is in their genome (they actually used that word :lol: ) to only be comfortable in a reef.

It's easy to pair butterflyfish, and they should be kept so.

Gary Majchrzak
04/22/2012, 05:19 AM
how educated RC folks are!

Bravo for pointing out the BS, lilyost4290 :dance: