PDA

View Full Version : Such think as too much sump/Refrigum?

DeepSeaBeauti
04/20/2012, 01:29 PM
Is there a size limit to sump/refrigum? I currently run a 30g refrigum under my 125, but with the 300DD underway I was thinking of using the 125 as my sump/refrigum. Its 6' long and could make a nice size one out of it. The filtration and equipment is all going to be in the basement. The display tank is the only thing that will be upstairs. Anyone see any problems with this?

sasharotty
04/20/2012, 01:30 PM
Nope, the bigger the better.

reefkeeper125
04/20/2012, 02:04 PM
Nope, the bigger the better.

I agree. I only have a 125DT but I have a 100 gal sump and a 40 refugium. Overall I think that the more water volume you have the less of a effect "negative things" have on your system.

Breadman03
04/20/2012, 02:05 PM
My thinking is more room equals more diversity. Of course, I'm still running a canister until I can afford to get set up right.

TheFishTeen
04/20/2012, 02:10 PM
Problem? All I see is a nice looking sump! Ive seen setups where the tank was 300G and the filtration/sumps totaled over 1000G. Just keep in mind the added water volume will mean a larger total volume, which means you need to be sure you have a skimmer and other means of reefing goods fit for the volume size, not just your display tank.

billdogg
04/20/2012, 02:39 PM
My DT is 150. The sump is 50. The refugium is 120 with 6" DSB. The bigger the better, but as mentioned - you must figure for total volume, not just DT

DeepSeaBeauti
04/20/2012, 02:54 PM
Problem? All I see is a nice looking sump! Ive seen setups where the tank was 300G and the filtration/sumps totaled over 1000G. Just keep in mind the added water volume will mean a larger total volume, which means you need to be sure you have a skimmer and other means of reefing goods fit for the volume size, not just your display tank.

I agree, I want to put the sump at a nice hight so I can view it. Its a whole other Eco system and too me is just as interesting as the DT.

My thinking is more room equals more diversity. Of course, I'm still running a canister until I can afford to get set up right.

Have to start somewhere.

My DT is 150. The sump is 50. The refugium is 120 with 6" DSB. The bigger the better, but as mentioned - you must figure for total volume, not just DT

Yeah that is one thing I did not think of. Ive begun to compile my new list of items I'm going to require for the new tank.