PDA

View Full Version : Red bugs :( Need help, have questions.

BCreefmaker
04/20/2012, 06:37 PM
I noticed little red dots moving around on my SPS this afternoon. Is it safe to assume they are red bugs?

My second question is the only SPS I have in the tank right now is that one acro frag. It is small, kinda dull, and cheap. Should I just toss it and start over since it only cost $7 and is brown with green accents? If I go this route, how long do I have to keep SPS out of my tank before it can safely try again?

Third I was wondering if anyone had some links to any other red bug treatments and/or preventatives. I so far know about interceptor, and Bayer all purpose insect killer. I have yet to look up if I can get either of these in Canada easily.

Thank you for your time.

29reef
04/20/2012, 09:13 PM
If you plan on buying future frags from the same place then likely there's no point in tossing it. Interceptor treatment can be simple depending on how easy it is for you to get some.

BCreefmaker
04/21/2012, 09:45 AM
I do not have to get frags from the same place at all. It also was in a friends tank while my tank was cycling. It might have gotten it from another SPS frag there or from the fragger.

gar732
04/21/2012, 05:14 PM
I would just get rid of it. It is suggested that you treat 3 times a week apart so I would wait at least 3-4 weeks before adding more acros to your tank, maybe a couple more to be on the same side. Red bugs aren't that bad though. A little interceptor and they are gone, by far the easiest pest to get rid of.

divewsharks
04/23/2012, 12:39 AM
If that is your only acro, dip it. Can you Coral RX? You should have something to dip all of your frags before putting them in the tank.