PDA

View Full Version : Ahh! Accidentally buried a mushroom for a day!

mariahcolleen
04/20/2012, 09:40 PM
Ok so I got a mushroom coral as a hitch hiker when I bought my live rock for a new 30 gal saltwater. When I went to add sand later the water clouded up like crazy and I accidentally bonked his rock. When the water cleared today I picked up the rock and realized he had been buried for a day... Will he be ok or did I kill the poor little guy?

ScottRT
04/20/2012, 09:41 PM
I'm sure it will be perfectly fine. You really can't get much more hardy of a coral than a shroom. They survive everything. Good Luck.

mariahcolleen
04/20/2012, 09:45 PM
Well that makes me feel better... He is so neat I would really like to keep him. After trying to clear sand off the rocks I'm cloudy again so I cant see how he is coming along. Of course its after the fact that I realize there were much better ways to add the sand then what I did... Haha I know now though.

bnumair
04/20/2012, 09:54 PM
he be alright. just dust him off and place him where u want.

Andrew
04/20/2012, 10:05 PM
Mushrooms are hard to kill lol The main reason they die or melt is if your water is too clean for them and when they can not take any nutrients out of the water.

mariahcolleen
04/20/2012, 10:18 PM
Mushrooms are hard to kill lol The main reason they die or melt is if your water is too clean for them and when they can not take any nutrients out of the water.

Thanks I didnt know that! Im glad I got such a hardy little guy since I am such a noob.

Andrew
04/20/2012, 10:30 PM
I've always been a fan of mushrooms and actually picked up 2 new ones today. Welcome to the forums by the way

broshd
04/21/2012, 07:46 AM
if you want it to spread irritate it. if you lop of the head, the base will grow a new head and if you split the head, as long as a get a small part of the mouth then you'll have two.

aleonn
04/21/2012, 11:44 AM
You'll be fine :). As mentioned, they're so hardy that you have to do something really bad for mushrooms to die.

mariahcolleen
04/21/2012, 12:22 PM
Awesome! Thanks for all the advice. I think I may get some more shroomies. I like things that are hard to kill. lol

sucker_fish
04/21/2012, 12:38 PM
just keep in mind, hard to kill + spreads rapidly = tank takeover

mariahcolleen
04/21/2012, 12:47 PM
just keep in mind, hard to kill + spreads rapidly = tank takeover

Good point. Although I think the only other non fish inhabitant I would want for my tank would be an anemone of some sort. After my tank is more established and I have a better lighting system that is.