PDA

View Full Version : Quarantining new arrivals

tony53176
04/20/2012, 11:36 PM
I expecting a delivery tomorrow of four fish.

1 snowflake eel 6-7", 1 fuzzy dwarf lionfish 1-1.5", 1 flame angelfish 1-1.5" and 1 yellow tang 1-1.5"

I was wondering if I would be safe housing all these together in the same QT it is a 20 gallon long tank?

I do have a large piece of PVC (4" in diameter) for the fish and a 1 foot piece of PVC 1.5" in diameter for the eel.

I do have another 10 gallon that I could use, only problem is that I don't have any kind of filtration for that tank so if I could use the 20 long that would be great. Thanks for any input.

sandwi54
04/21/2012, 02:05 AM
it should be ok, provided that none of the fish can fit into the eel's mouth.

NEK-ap24
04/21/2012, 05:53 AM
I agree that the 20l should be fine, however; I am not worried about the eel eating anyone, as a 6" snowflake eel (SFE) is smaller then a pencil, he won't be swallowing any inch long fish except for a gobie shapped one. I would worry more about the lion eating him at this point, (but I haven't raised or kept any lions so I can't say for sure) Again, my guess is it would probably be fine.

I would ensure that the top is very tight, small SFEs are master escape artists, I have had a SFE swim through a canaster filter through the tube and the seemingly impossible space between the impellars and into the main body. (I assume, he was hanging out in the tube until I turned off the canister to look for him, as he was alive and well when I found him)

My thought is also an 1.5" PVC pipe is going to be like an airplane hanger to your eel at this point in his life, not nearly small enough to give him any sense of security. I would put a piece of 1/2" and 5/8" tubing in and see which he likes the most. You want to provide a couple hiding options for the lion and eel to ensure they don't get stressed.

Good luck, sounds like a fun group of additions. Be sure to post some pictures.

Triton_Z
04/21/2012, 07:47 PM
I agree. The 20 should be sufficient for the livestock described for QT.

Just keep a watch on your ammonia depending on how you started the cycle on this tank. Having some PRIME around to detoxify levels is handy.

The mixture of PVC size as suggested above is an excellent idea to help the SFE acclimate and provide shelter. I use a couple Ts and Elbows in the mix @ 2" to help create some variety.

namxas
04/23/2012, 03:22 PM
A tad late (I've been AFK for a few days), but I'd QT the tang separately...it's the most likely fish to need treatment, and no need to treat the other fish if the tang presents with crypto.