PDA

View Full Version : Ich problem

chrisrex
04/21/2012, 12:02 AM
So I have ich on one of my clowns. I have put all
My fish in my qt, 2 clowns and a jester goby the tank is 10 gallon with a aquaclear pump with no carbon filter, my question is, should I keep all the fish in the qt tank even thought only one shows sign of ich? #2 im going to dose the tank with copper don't worry I have a test kit and read the directions would it be wise to put an air stone in there to create more airation or will the air stone be distroyed from future use ? Any input would help and advice buy they way I will leave my tank fishless for 10weeks

MrTuskfish
04/21/2012, 08:49 AM
So I have ich on one of my clowns. I have put all
My fish in my qt, 2 clowns and a jester goby the tank is 10 gallon with a aquaclear pump with no carbon filter, my question is, should I keep all the fish in the qt tank even thought only one shows sign of ich? #2 im going to dose the tank with copper don't worry I have a test kit and read the directions would it be wise to put an air stone in there to create more airation or will the air stone be distroyed from future use ? Any input would help and advice buy they way I will leave my tank fishless for 10weeks

Yes, all fish need to be treated; ich isn't always visible. Air stones cost about 50 cents, toss it when done. You'll probably need large WCs unless you've got a cycled sponge in your filter. Standard ammonia tests don't work with copper, use a stick- on ammonia badge. Be sure the new water has the same copper level as the QT water. Don't use any ammonia neutralizers; Prime, Ammo-lock, etc. with copper; they form deadly compounds. Regardless of what the directions say; take your time getting to the Cu level suggested. 4 days or so unless the fish are really in trouble. Keep fish at a therapeutic level of Cu for 4 weeks; many brands say 2 weeks---that won't do it.

chrisrex
04/21/2012, 07:57 PM
Well the worst happen the the one clown (wiggles) that had the ich just died little upsetting because I don't think anything could of been done quick enough to Save him, anyways I'll be treating the fish I currently have I'll Do lots of water change because I don't have a cycled sponge. Ideally when should I do water changes?

snorvich
04/21/2012, 09:23 PM
Well the worst happen the the one clown (wiggles) that had the ich just died little upsetting because I don't think anything could of been done quick enough to Save him, anyways I'll be treating the fish I currently have I'll Do lots of water change because I don't have a cycled sponge. Ideally when should I do water changes?

I would be concerned at the time line. Ich does not usually kill that quickly.

chrisrex
04/21/2012, 11:06 PM
Interesting you say, that i didn't think they died from ich Either but I kind of figured it was the complications of having ich because he didn't eat and I'm fairly confident that he in fact had ich (white spots salt size, heavy breathing, hiding, not eating. I first saw the symptoms around week and half ago but the only thing he did not do was scratching on rocks

chrisrex
04/21/2012, 11:38 PM
Also on a side not just before he died he was swimming at the very top of the water Which I suspect he struggling for air ?

snorvich
04/22/2012, 05:14 AM
Also on a side not just before he died he was swimming at the very top of the water Which I suspect he struggling for air ?

His gills were likely affected and it is really dissolved oxygen content he was struggling for.