PDA

View Full Version : DIY Sump - Help

DLAROCCA231
04/21/2012, 05:20 PM
Hi,

I am building a 55g sump which is 21 inches tall for a 125g display tank. My question is how tall should the baffles be. I basically want a 3 compartment sump - skimmer, refugium (Live rock and macro algae), 2 return pumps. My skimmer will be a reef octopus 2000-int - so I would want to have at least a 9" tall baffle for the skimmer baffle. What do you guys recommend?

thor109
04/21/2012, 05:26 PM
I used a 75 which is same 21 inches tall.I went with 14" high baffles. It leaves plenty of room for pump off water storage. I build a stand for skimmer to set on so its in 7" of water. I have octopus 3000. It barely fit under 35" stand.

Nailbender
04/21/2012, 05:30 PM
I'd like to see pictures

sleepydoc
04/22/2012, 08:59 AM
Can't say without more information. What will be the configuration of your sump? Skimmer-Fuge-Return chamber, left to right? Or return chamber in the middle?

The height of the skimmer outlet determines the height of the first baffle to a degree, but you can also set the skimmer on a stand to raise it up, assuming you have the head-room below your tank. Assuming water flow is sequential through the sections, each subsequent baffle needs to be lower than the previous.

You also need to be sure to allow enough extra room in the sump to handle back flow from your tank in case of a power failure. This is determined by the ratio of the tank areas and the depth of your return nozzle (i.e. how many inches of water from the tank will siphon backwards into the sump before the siphon breaks because the nozzle is above water?)

thegrun
04/22/2012, 10:06 AM
I prefer to make my baffles as high as possible to maximize the water volume in the sump. I usually start 1"-2" below the top of the tank and drop 1/2" for each chamber beyond the first. I place my skimmer up on an egg crate platform to get it at its proper water level. Using this method you do need to be sure your return section is sized to handle all the water that drains down from the DT (plus some extra "just in case volume) or you risk overflowing the sump when you turn off the return pump.

DLAROCCA231
04/22/2012, 07:14 PM
I plan to have a skimmer (elevated on egg crates - I have a 36" tall stand) - refugium (live rock and macro algae) - return area (2 return pumps) from left to right. The reef octopus people said I need a 9" skimmer baffle. What should I size (baffle height and distance between baffles) each compartment?

jerseygurl
04/23/2012, 01:48 PM
You need to size everything basically.

I'd leave 5 - 6" of headspace just to be safe. Air baffles should be spaced 1", over under, over. The last baffle into your fuge should have three openings, teeth at the top, opening in the middle, opening above the sand. This way you get nice even flow through the fuge and good chaeto tumble.

I like to use an over/under exit baffel with a sponge, the innermost baffle will control your water level in the fuge area, so it should be 5 - 6" below the top of the tank and should have an eggcrate to keep the chaeto in.

DLAROCCA231
04/23/2012, 02:00 PM
Could you please post some pictures?

fng_71
05/08/2012, 09:46 PM
DLAROCCA, any plans made yet? i'm also doing a 125 build and am looking to build a refugium. i may have gotten a free 40 gallon long which is about 5 inches shorter than the 55

DLAROCCA231
05/09/2012, 12:47 PM
I am currently trying to decide between an external skimmer and an internal skimmer. If I go external, then my refugium could be larger and the baffles could be higher in the sump.

jerseygurl
05/09/2012, 01:57 PM
Don't do it! Stick with an oversized internal skimmer, you have plenty of room.