PDA

View Full Version : New to Hobby, Help setting up 29 Gallon

StephenM
04/21/2012, 06:15 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this site but I've been reading posts for a few weeks now.

I just recently bought a 29 gallon aquarium 30x13x18. I live in an apartment right now and don't have space for the 100-120 gallon tank I'd like to work towards to in the future. BUT, I am interested in getting into this hobby and I reasoned that I will be able to use the 29 gallon as a sump for my future 100-120 gallon aquarium.

My goal is to set up this 29 gallon with much of the same equipment that I would need for a 100 gallon aquarium, and in two years transfer this equipment over (I'd rather overspend now that have to buy twice).

So I'm hoping that I can use the same powerhead(s), same heater, same lighting (will use the lighting for the refugium/sump), ro/di, live rock, etc.

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. I know I can't keep much in a tank this size, but suggestions about equipment that would work best for both would be great!

I also don't know what kind of filtration do you think I will need? I was hoping to just be able to use an overhang filter? Do I have to have a protein skimmer? Will the live rock be enough? Not as clear on this decision.

So yes any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated. Also what types of fish and amounts I can fit into this aquarium (keeping in mind that I will be setting up a 100 gallon reef aquarium in the next two years)

Thought this was a great way to get started and thanks in advance!

ajcanale
04/21/2012, 07:15 PM
1. Protein Skimmer is a must

2. Overhang filter... not a great idea

3. Adequate powerheads for a 100-120g system would be way overkill for a 29g

4. Consider setting up a berlin filteration system (live rock + sump with skimmer), or even better, a berlin + refugium (growing macroalgae) system

sucker_fish
04/21/2012, 07:15 PM
Glad to see you are going about this smartly, I would recommend a small T5 fixture for the tank for lighting, live rock will be your filter, and you don't absolutely have to have a skimmer, I have kept a 29 gallon biocube for almost 2 years now with no skimmer. You will have to absolutely do weekly water changes if you want to keep your water quality up on such a small tank with no skimmer. what I keep in the biocube...1 clown, 2 cleaner shrimp, snails, hermits, various corals.

meco65
04/22/2012, 05:22 AM
You do not have to have a skimmer, but you will have to do more water changes. The Hang on filter is ok you will need to change the filters out every two weeks or they can become a nitrate factory. With the right lights you can keep just about any corals, but fish you could only have three or so small ones. Running without a sump or skimmer will limit the fish side of things. And with a small tank you will need to run test on the water ever week, check the tank daily and watch corals and fish for any changes as things can go bad fast in a small tanks. keep an eye on how much you feed the fish, over feeding is easy to do and will cause problems. A power head for a 29 can be used in a 100 but the other way around might not be a good idea as the one for a 100 will be to powerful for a small tank. On lights if you go with metal halide, or LEDS you should be able to use them on a bigger tank as you can always add more light for the bigger tank, with VHO or T5s that would fit a 29 would be to short for a 100 if they fit on a 29. The heater if you use a big heater that would keep a 100 up to temp might over heat coral that were to close to it in a 29, so I would say use the proper heater for the tank size. RO/DI is a must and can be used on any tank. LR, I would get the biggest size that would fit in the 29 if you get several small ones for the 29 you can use them in a bigger tank but the bigger rock will look better in a big tank IMO. Hope this helps.

StephenM
04/22/2012, 05:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the help so far. I'm getting a pretty good idea of what will and won't work. I knew having a smaller tank with less equipment was going to be more work, but sometimes you've got to put in the extra work for a while. The comments on hang on filters and power heads have been especially helpful.

StephenM
04/22/2012, 06:48 AM
Any more suggestions for lighting? I am planning on using this lighting system in my refugium/sump when I upgrade so a fixture that fits my 29 gallong, 30" length would be good I think. I was looking at this light http://www.fishneedit.com/30in-4bulbs-fixtu304.html. Any other thoughts would be great. And do you think I need a carbon reactor? Thanks

Cloudburst2000
04/22/2012, 08:07 AM
Well, powerheads for a 100g tank won't work well in a 29g tank. They would be way to powerful. I'd suggest an MP10. It could still be used in a 100g tank but would need to be supplemented with additional powerheads. And depending on what type of lighting you want, you could always re-use the lighting on a larger tank. If you are wanting LED lighting, I'd suggest something like he Ecotech Radion. One unit would work well for a 29g tank. When you upgraded the tank, you could just add more units. You don't need a skimmer for a 29g tank though it wouldn't hurt. You might look into something like a CPR HOB Aquafuge 2. These have areas for a refugium and certain models do have a built-in skimmer. This would be used in place of something like a HOB filter. Instead of using filters like a HOB filter uses, the Aquafuge filters the water using macroalgae like chaeto. I used an Aquafuge on my old 25g aquarium and it worked well. I had the version with the built-in skimmer. I now use the Aquafuge as additional fuge space in the sump area of my 36g tank (which is drilled).

But I'll let you in on a secret, by the time you are ready to get a bigger tank. You won't want to get rid of the 29g. Mark my words...in a couple years, you will have two tanks. One 29g and one 100+g :)

agruetz
04/22/2012, 12:01 PM
Glad to see you are going about this smartly, I would recommend a small T5 fixture for the tank for lighting, live rock will be your filter, and you don't absolutely have to have a skimmer, I have kept a 29 gallon biocube for almost 2 years now with no skimmer. You will have to absolutely do weekly water changes if you want to keep your water quality up on such a small tank with no skimmer. what I keep in the biocube...1 clown, 2 cleaner shrimp, snails, hermits, various corals.

100% agree on the water changes with a small system. I over filter like it is cool in my 10G but since I run no skimmer I have to stay constant on the water changes. I just recently ordered one I am hope it will allow me to extended water changes to 2 weeks from one week as they are important for other reasons as well.

pete33
04/22/2012, 12:12 PM
For lighting how about a nice 250 MH with t5ho? You could then get another unit and run both on the 100. I'm using a 250w on my 29 and looks great.

reef4life07
04/22/2012, 03:43 PM
I have the same tank, and would also like to go bigger. I did thought about what can i use when I do a upgrade. I have a 24in aqua medic 150w 2xt5 fixture, and is working great, I'm using 1 800gph powerhead, and angle it so it wont over power my softies, and lps, but strong enough for my sps. I have a 10g sump with A coralife 75g super skimmer, 2 reactors filled with GFO, & carbon media), Cheato, sum live rocks, heater, and a ATO system. The lighting im using for cheato is a 24in coralife 10k pc....FYI I do 30% bi-weekly water changes.
Ok now what I plan to use for my upgraded tank is the 150w fixture for my sump or frag tank(not sure yet, thinking about a T5 fixture), definitely the reactors, powerhead(for frag tank, sump, or back up), protein skimmer(for frag tank, add to sump with the upgraded skimmer, or use as a back up), And my overflow box will have to be sold....If i was you I would invest in a sump setup, with skimmer. The amount of water changes you're gonna be doing, means more use of salt mix, more you have to use your ro/di $$$$$$$$, so $130 or less on a skimmer is well worth it. Like most people, they can't not live without a skimmer. Hope this helps good luck.

Reeferz412
04/23/2012, 11:37 AM
Just buy an hob fuge, put your media in one side, and grow chaeto in the other. Buy an mp10 or some koralias and for the future use them as circulation for mixing your water when water changes are needed. I went the led route and bought some Boost LED bulbs and my corals are happy. I have various lps and softies growing happily.

Reeferz412
04/23/2012, 11:38 AM
I am upgrading to a 45 gallon down the road, but I only plan on using my koralias for mixing salt and my boost led bulb as a refugium light probably for my future sump. It has a small footprint but the light is powerful and attaches to a cheapy home depot socket clamp lamp.

jerseygurl
04/23/2012, 12:43 PM
There's not really very much you can use from a 29 to a 100 except maybe the heater and LR/LS/critters.

However, I'd never run a tank without a skimmer, sure you can, but why would you? Not only does it keep your water cleaner but it really helps gas exchange. Go for a good skimmer.

Rjukan
04/23/2012, 01:12 PM
Im going to suggest a different direction...

Rather than spend the cash to set this up as a reef or fowlr, consider going fresh water for the next 2 years. I could be wrong, but judging by the sound of your first post you are completely new to the aquarium hobby. Spending the next 2 years getting used to the basics will serve you well in the future when you have the space and cash to drop on a reef. During that time you will get used to water changes, different types of filtration, and you can research exactly what you want to do when you're ready to go salt water. So much of the fun of having a reef is in the preparation. People who jump into the hobby miss out on a lot of the fun, and are less likely to have the setup they ultimately end up wanting.

Reeferz412
04/23/2012, 01:28 PM
+1 Rjukan, I like that suggestion. I started as FW as a kid and I wanted to tackle something more challenging, other than cichlids, angels, fancy tail goldfish etc. etc.... FW is a lot more forgiving and isn't a total money pit. But it does teach you if you are suited for the hobby.

I don't knock the idea of starting as SW, but it helps when you go 50+ gallons because the water chemistry is a lot more forgiving and you have more options with just about everything that correlates with a bigger tank.

StephenM
04/23/2012, 01:44 PM
Im going to suggest a different direction...

Rather than spend the cash to set this up as a reef or fowlr, consider going fresh water for the next 2 years. I could be wrong, but judging by the sound of your first post you are completely new to the aquarium hobby. Spending the next 2 years getting used to the basics will serve you well in the future when you have the space and cash to drop on a reef. During that time you will get used to water changes, different types of filtration, and you can research exactly what you want to do when you're ready to go salt water. So much of the fun of having a reef is in the preparation. People who jump into the hobby miss out on a lot of the fun, and are less likely to have the setup they ultimately end up wanting.

Thanks for the suggestion but I actually already have a 55 gallon NW cichlid tank that's been up and running for almost a year, and in college I also had a 55 gallon African cichlid tank. I am greatly enjoying the preparation for this SW aquarium and that's part of the reason I am sharing it on this forum! This will hopefully be a great transition into the setup I ultimately want. I know I have to get a sump when I go larger, but I don't have the space in my apartment at this time. I felt this was a brilliant idea to do something I really want, but also not be a huge waste of $ since it's not my final destination.

The idea of this tank was to help me get used to all of the basics of SW keeping with some hardy fish so that when I upgrade I can create a spectacular 100+ tank.

I have decided to get 30 lbs of live rock, two smaller powerheads that will work well for the aquarium size now, and can be used for mixing salt when I upgrade. I bought a 5 stage Ro/DI unit. I bought a 100W heater that I will use to heat water when I upgrade. I will be modifying an HOB filter as a refugium where I can grow some chaeto.

In response to Jerseygirl: The reason I don't want a skimmer is because I don't want to have to buy two. I don't have space for a sump right now, and I've heard many times that sump skimmers are better than HOB. I'd rather change the water once a week than spend $150 twice. Also forces me to spend more time with my fish, which I need with how hectic my life is at times.

I think I am going to go for an LED fixture, and then when I upgrade I will get a second.

I'm also considering going bare bottom but not sure at this time.

Trying to think if I am missing something. I feel pretty well prepared at this point, but if theres a piece of equipment I forgot to mention please remind me, I really think this will be a success with all of the help I've gotten and I will definitely have to post some pics in a few months when it all gets set up.

Rjukan
04/23/2012, 04:10 PM
Ahh, between the title of the thread and the basic questions about filters, live rock, and skimmers I thought this might be your first step in the aquarium hobby.

Not that it matters... but since you live in an apt and have a 55gal running already, I would have thought about breaking that down and using it for your new reef, and put that 29gal to work as a sump right away. The items you get for a 55gal would be more likely swappable to a large 6' 120gal tank when you decide to make that move. Plus having a sump in a sw setup is worth it's weight in gold imo.

At any rate you seem to have a clear picture of where you want to go with your system, good luck and enjoy it. Maybe the best advice I can give from my own past experiences would be to go as slow as possible, and less is more when it comes to your livestock.

StephenM
04/23/2012, 05:52 PM
Not that it matters... but since you live in an apt and have a 55gal running already, I would have thought about breaking that down and using it for your new reef, and put that 29gal to work as a sump right away. The items you get for a 55gal would be more likely swappable to a large 6' 120gal tank when you decide to make that move. Plus having a sump in a sw setup is worth it's weight in gold imo.

At any rate you seem to have a clear picture of where you want to go with your system, good luck and enjoy it. Maybe the best advice I can give from my own past experiences would be to go as slow as possible, and less is more when it comes to your livestock.

Really appreciate the advice and will keep in mind. And if I broke my 55 down then my poor cichlids would have nowhere to stay :( And who knows I might decide I have to figure out some way to get a small sump but at this time I'm going to give it my best.