PDA

View Full Version : Draining multiple tanks

ahud
04/21/2012, 08:27 PM
Hey guys,

First up, please don't scorn the "freshy", but these tanks are freshwater:fun5: . I was not getting much input on other forums, so considering how much saltys are into plumbing, I thought you guys could help me out.

Pretty soon I am setting up (4) 55g tanks. I am using those double 55 gallon metal stands that hold a 55 on top and a 55 on bottom. The stands will each be on a separate wall, but butted up to each other in the corner.

Can anybody suggest a few ideas of draining the tanks all at once? I drain into a spare bathroom.

I'm thinking something like this, with ball valves installed so that I can drain two tanks at a time. Without the ball valve, the top tanks would drain faster and end up breaking the siphon. I would prefer a setup that could drain all 4 tanks at once, but not sure how I could do that.

a second question, could the below setup be used to fill the tanks as well, or would they fill at different rates?

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/ahudmultie/Drainsystem2.png

Feel free to stray away from my original design. The end goal is a fast water change setup that includes draining, and then filling as many as the four tanks as possible simultaneously.