PDA

View Full Version : Fish dilemma

kalymnos1971
04/21/2012, 08:33 PM
I have a 150 gal tank. About two month ago I did a complete water change and added a bio pellet nitrate/phosphate reactor. The reactor has brought my levels to perfect levels. I had a matron clownfish for 10 years and I found him dead yesterday. Just the day before he was fine. Over the last 3 weeks I have added to the tank fox face, powder blue, regal, unicorn, blonde naso, carnivals, and chromis. All that was there before was a maroon clown and a dotty back. I also added some coral. The chromis and cardinals from day one did not eat. Within several days the cardinals died and I lost 6 of the 8 chromis I put in. Really not sure what happened. Now it appears my naso has scratch markings on each side and barely eats anything and dashes back and forth. You can see his stomach seems pinched since its nit eating enough. I tested my water today and everything check out perfect. I don't know what is happening.... Help

mattsilvester
04/22/2012, 02:08 AM
With the massive water change its possible the parameters are fluctuating wildly, as it has not settled down yet?

Test with different test kits, especially ammonia, nitrite, pH.

So many new fish, so quickly, I assume no q-tine - a nasty disease like velvet is not impossible.

Dr Colliebreath
04/22/2012, 09:59 AM
With so many fish (some large) introduced in such a short period, you had ammonia and possibly nitrite spikes that severely stressed the fish. Also, one or more of the fish would seem to have brought a disease that is affecting the stressed fish. As Matt says, velvet is possible. If so, you are going to have to act fast to treat the fish and leave the tank fallow for 10 weeks as velvet can wipe the entire tank out completely. You should post more information about the tank (it sounds like you have had a reef for 10 years and decided to introduce more fish) in the fish disease forum for guidance on treatment.

Nothing good happens fast in this hobby, so slow down. It is hard to be patient stocking, but you are finding out the downside of rushing things. It sounds like you have been keeping a reef tank this for 10 years. You need to get your tank under control and then quarantine and add fish slowly. Chromis have a reputation for killing each other off. You have too many tangs for your tank plus a couple (unicorn and naso) get so large that they need a larger tank. You should ask for stocking advice and research fish before buying them.

MrTuskfish
04/22/2012, 10:04 AM
With so many fish (some large) introduced in such a short period, you had ammonia and possibly nitrite spikes that severely stressed the fish. Also, one or more of the fish would seem to have brought a disease that is affecting the stressed fish. As Matt says, velvet is possible. If so, you are going to have to act fast to treat the fish and leave the tank fallow for 10 weeks as velvet can wipe the entire tank out completely. You should post more information about the tank (it sounds like you have had a reef for 10 years and decided to introduce more fish) in the fish disease forum for guidance on treatment.

Nothing good happens fast in this hobby, so slow down. It is hard to be patient stocking, but you are finding out the downside of rushing things. It sounds like you have been keeping a reef tank this for 10 years. You need to get your tank under control and then quarantine and add fish slowly. Chromis have a reputation for killing each other off. You have too many tangs for your tank plus a couple (unicorn and naso) get so large that they need a larger tank. You should ask for stocking advice and research fish before buying them.

I agree completely and would make my next purchase a QT (as suggested by mattsilvester) , not another fish..BTW, Chromis seem to be dying as fast as people get them, I have no idea why.

kalymnos1971
04/22/2012, 04:18 PM
The parameters seem to be all good. I used salifert nitrate, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and ph. All perfect. Another chromis disappeared this morning so I am down to one. The naso is barely eating and has scratches that seem to get worse on both sides. They are white.

Shellyfish
04/22/2012, 07:18 PM
During my ich outbreak my Mimic tang kept showing up with scratches too. I though he was scrapping with the other fish. I did not see any ich on him. A week after moving him to the hospital tank for treatment the scratches are gone. I wonder if maybe the ich was in his gills and he was flashing against rocks or something?

Dr Colliebreath
04/22/2012, 09:17 PM
The parameters seem to be all good. I used salifert nitrate, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and ph. All perfect. Another chromis disappeared this morning so I am down to one. The naso is barely eating and has scratches that seem to get worse on both sides. They are white.

What are your ammonia and nitrite readings.