PDA

View Full Version : Help needed please!

lionspride
04/22/2012, 10:12 AM
My tank is about 4 months old and was looking good til about 5 days ago. I am not new to reef tanks but this is kinda new new to me. My parameters have been consistent and all in check. I have a 90 gal soon to be mixed reef. Total volume of about 125 gallons. Slowly adding corals and i have 5 fish. 5 days ago my tanked turned cloudy, so i added new GAC with this i started to see more algae, so i added new GFO. Actually running 2 phosban reactors ( dont know if this is overkill?) After doing tests for Alk, Cal, Mag, Nitrate, and P04 everything but the Nitrate has stayed the same. I am getting a reading of 0 for P04 all the time and my Nitrates are going down. I think its a bloom of some sort but not sure? In the last 6 days ive dont about 30 gal of water change, but it doesnt seem to be doing anything. My Nitrates are dropping 6 days ago 6-7ppm, and today 2 ppm. P04 reading 0. Tank is still cloudy and it looks like i have diatoms all over. Been sucking them out and cleaning rock as much as i can. To me it seems like something is unbalanced, but i dont know what??? Any ideas on what this could be? Also my skimmer is not skimming like it was, not really creating foam. The foam keeps getting knocked down.

Tank Params,

Sal- 1.026
Mag- 1380
Calc-1420
DKH- 9.3
Nitrite- 0
Ammonia-0
Nitrate- 2ppm
P04- 0

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/22/2012, 10:18 AM
Maybe something spawned?

Are you using tap water for top off?

lionspride
04/22/2012, 11:47 AM
No tap. Using a 5 stage RO/DI. Have had tanks in the past along with blooms. But this is lasting about a week so far. All inhabitants are healthy, which above is most important. Do you think is would be something to worry about. From reading its almost like when you start out with biopellets except im not running them. There is also a funny smell from the skimmer kind of like zooxanthellae ( from the very little the simmer is producing).

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/22/2012, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure what caused it, but I guess I'd just wait a few days and see what happens. :)