PDA

View Full Version : Overflow help

markvo
04/22/2012, 12:14 PM
Please help! My system is too sensitive to adjustments to the return water flow. I bought a used tank/stand/sump and I modified the sump to work with an internal skimmer that requires a fixed water level to work. I have got the system working well but I create a problem anytime I touch something that affects the return flow.

The DT is 500 Gallons and the sump is 72W x 28W x 22H. The sump now has 4 sections. The intake is 16.5 x 27 x 12. The skimmer section is 30 x 17 x 10. The refugium is 23 x 27 x 15. The return is 30 x 10 x 9.5 or less. The water flows into the refugium then the return or into the intake, then the skimmer section, and into the return.

There are 2 external overflows. Each overlflow has a 2" and 1" bulkhead at the bottom. The 2" bulkheads have durso intakes and the 1" bulkheads have a submerged pipe. The first overflow has both bulkheads joined and going to a 2" gate valve on the sump intake. The second overflow has the 2" bulkhead goind to a 2" gate valve on the sump intake and the 1" bulkhead going to a 1" gate valve on the refugium.

The return pump has a ball valve on the output, but the whole system is very touchy. The sump intake gate valves have to be adjusted so that the overflows remain above the durso intakes. The return pump ball valve has to be adjusted to match this flow. The refugium gate valve must be adjusted to get the flow right in the refugium. The volume of the return section seems to be too small for the system and any adjustments can cause drastic changes in its level.

I tried to add filter socks to the sump intakes, but that messed up the flow so much I had to pull them off. I shut the refugium flow off so I could add some sand and the return ran dry. The only thing I can think of that will allow me some slack in making adjustments is to add a return section extension which would more than double the volume of the return section and allow me to add a proper bubble trap.

Why is this whole system so touchy? Is that just the way things are and I need to learn the proper sequence for making adjustments and add the return extension. IU especially don't know how to get the water level in the overflows correct and that seems to be the first step in adjusting the flow.

All help is appreciated. I have read everything I can, but parts of this hobby seem to involve an "art" of reef keeping that is only learned the hard way.

Mark

billdogg
04/22/2012, 01:12 PM
I use durso's only for my drains. No valves to play with. They can only drain as much as the return pump can put out so a gate valve on the return is the only adjustment. (actually several valves t off the return to feed the reactors and fuge).

Boboli
04/22/2012, 02:27 PM
Pictures would help !

markvo
04/22/2012, 09:15 PM
Does this question belong in the large tank forum or somewhere else?

coralreefdoc
05/17/2012, 11:50 PM
No, it is in a correct forum ...

The requested pictures would go a long way to getting an answer/insight to your question(s)