PDA

View Full Version : Too Much flow for a 29g reef??

reefer73
04/22/2012, 03:14 PM
Hey everyone. I was thinking of setting up a 29g reef tank and I was looking at using the following equipment.
Fluval C3
Reef Octopus BH-1000
2 Hydor Koralia Evo 550 with a JBJ Wavemaker Duo

Do you think this will be too much flow for this size tank? My space is very limited and I already have a 29g aquarium but when I added up all the GPH's for the equipment it would be like 51.8X turnover rate and that just seems really high to me. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!!! Happy Reefing.

SKurj
04/22/2012, 03:29 PM
remove the C3 and perhaps swap the 550's for 425's which are alot smaller.

You could go with the koralia smartwave instead of the jbj as well.

I don't know if its too much flow, i am newb, but from what I am finding with my 40g 4ft tank... in your 29 I would do 3 425's on the smartwave..

But! it depends on what you want to keep as well...

Bowels
04/22/2012, 03:36 PM
I just moved from a 29g with a 550 koralia and a 425 koralia mini on the koralia smart wave, and IMO that was too much flow for my tank, pretty much everywhere had medium to high flow. I also have a whisper 30 on there but that is just for surface agitation. I think 2 425s should do it nicely.

reefer73
04/22/2012, 03:39 PM
I just moved from a 29g with a 550 koralia and a 425 koralia mini on the koralia smart wave, and IMO that was too much flow for my tank, pretty much everywhere had medium to high flow. I also have a whisper 30 on there but that is just for surface agitation. I think 2 425s should do it nicely.

Would you remove the C3 as well or possibly run a C2? I just really don't trust not running some sort of power filter. Granted I know that the 30lbs of live rock 20lbs of sand and protein skimmer would be fine to me its added security.

SKurj
04/22/2012, 03:42 PM
If you keep a power filter just run carbon and any phosphate reducing media in it nothing else, unless you convert to a fuge.

If you put anything else in it, such as foam, or biomedia you will be cleaning it every week, when the LR and skimmer could be doing it all for you.

Bowels
04/22/2012, 03:43 PM
btw I moved from the 29g to a 57g and I have kept the two powerheads and only added a return flow from my sump... so I havent added much and those two powerheads on the smart wave are fine for my 57.

reefer73
04/22/2012, 03:45 PM
If you keep a power filter just run carbon and any phosphate reducing media in it nothing else, unless you convert to a fuge.

If you put anything else in it, such as foam, or biomedia you will be cleaning it every week, when the LR and skimmer could be doing it all for you.

That makes sense the only reason I was interested in the C series is because they have a wet/dry type system built into the filter I think they call it c-nodes Im assuming that it was like bio-balls and figured it would be beneficial to the tank.

jarrodsanborn
04/22/2012, 03:46 PM
High flow is good! Run them all and angle/direct it based on the needs of the inhabitants. It takes time but its worth it.
I had a 29g mixed reef with all sorts of softies and lps for 3 yrs.
My flow was 70x-90x. Flow is your friend, and you need more in smaller tanks.

Do you need 50x+.....no. Will it help ....hell yes!

TucanSam007
04/22/2012, 06:27 PM
Yeah the only time too much flow is a problem is if your blasting your corals so much you tear flesh away. Other then that its usually always a good thing to have high random flow, without blowing around your sand-bed of course.