PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy Strikes again...

Richocet83
04/23/2012, 09:03 PM
After I lost my Yellow Multi-Band Pipe back in January I found a pair of Dragon Face Pipes that looked to be in great health and very active at my LFS. I purchased the two and set them up in my 75 gal mixed reef (previously home to the multi-band) and all seemed well. Even as I write this I'm amazed at what I found when I got home from work.... Both animals were crawling around the tank this morning, scouring the rockwork looking for pods. Then, I got home from work and the larger of the two was belly up on the sand.... :( I have no idea what happened in the 6 or so hours I was gone but the body appeared healthy when I removed it (no hermits had gotten to it yet), he didn't appear emaciated, no trauma.... the only thing out of the normal were his colors, they were more intense once he was dead then I had ever seen while he was alive.

Fortunately, working in the veterinary field has its benefits and I will be checking in with our resident pathologist tomorrow to see if there is any chance of performing a necropsy on this little guy (despite his diminutive size). So, for now he is chilling in my refrigerator. If we are able to get a COD I will post the results.

sea_horses
05/02/2012, 06:27 AM
sorry to hear (read) that

small alien
05/03/2012, 09:34 AM
They're bodies are covered in bony plates. You wouldn't see them as emaciated even if they were starving. Did you ever see them take prepared foods?

I've read dragon faces are short lived fwiw.

Richocet83
05/07/2012, 09:32 PM
They're bodies are covered in bony plates. You wouldn't see them as emaciated even if they were starving. Did you ever see them take prepared foods?

I've read dragon faces are short lived fwiw.

No, unfortunately neither of them were/are feeding on anything prepared. My sump/fuge have done a pretty good job of maintaining pods and I'm adding bottles of Tigriopus every 3-4 weeks (although I don't think they're eating any of the Tigriopus since they always end up in the water and not in the rocks).

Update from pathologist, on gross exam there was no body fat or liver fat indicating poor/absent appetite. Will know more by the end of this week once tissue samples are checked.

small alien
05/08/2012, 09:01 AM
Interesting. Keep us posted.

novahobbies
05/08/2012, 12:34 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this. From what I have read, DF's are often very difficult to keep long in captivity, and many will never convert to frozen. I'd like to try my hand at them some day, but I'm not sure if I'm up to the task. Very sorry you lost yours....

WeBrokr
05/14/2012, 01:51 PM
Strange. Please keep us posted on the pathologist. I have lost several horses in the past so I know the feeling.

Richocet83
05/15/2012, 02:17 PM
Final update from pathologist.... Pipefish was a female (not sure if this helps with future sexing but it was the larger of the two DF pipes in my reef). She found some inflammation (granuloma) in the intestines, which is fairly common in the marine fish she has looked at in the past, so her COD is still undetermined but leaning towards starvation/inappetance of unknown reason(s). Thanks all!