PDA

View Full Version : wrasse aggression question and a flasher ID

beachbreak
04/24/2012, 10:36 AM
I've got a male labouti that is a complete monster. He was the second wrasse in the tank behind my hooded and is hyper aggressive to every new addition. I've read in numerous spots that Labouti are docile but I'm finding that not to be the case. My dealer has one in his display that is the same way - he had to remove every other wrasse in the tank due to aggression by the labouti. The last straw was last night when he sent my hooded airborne and straight into the overflow. I had to tear down my drain system to get the fish out. The whole time I was thinking how good the labouti would taste fried with a little tartar sauce...

Beautiful fish but I'm at a loss because I'm only 1/4 of the way through my wrasse additions. Should I banish him to the sump or get him out and add another Labouti at the end? I've even considered biting the bullet and getting all the wrasses at once and adding them all at the same time so there is no one new target that he is hammering.

Can anyone ID this flasher? LFS said "red velvet flasher". Never heard of it. I'm thinking either linespot or filamented. Any other ideas?

Sorry about the pic quality...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/JfromHouston/flasher1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/JfromHouston/flasher2.jpg

The mckoskers below is the only wrasse he doesn't torment. I think it's because he's an inch long and roams the rocks more than out in the open.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/JfromHouston/flasher3.jpg

With flash
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/JfromHouston/flasher4.jpg

SDguy
04/24/2012, 10:47 AM
Great pics. It's a linespot flasher.

96gts
04/24/2012, 10:50 AM
the 2 labouti I have had are never aggressive. That is a linespot flasher.

Perched Urchin
04/24/2012, 10:51 AM
I am a proponent of adding multiple fish (especially wrasses) at once, as the activity of 2 or three new inhabitants seems to distract the existing tankmates, not to mention any aggression is dispersed. I QT a group together and then acclimate and add them to the DT all together. In my mind, at least, it helps the new fish as well, as they are "familiar" with the fish they were in QT with, so the move isn't as stressful to them.

Mike S
04/24/2012, 10:55 AM
It is a linespot. I added one to my tank two weeks ago and he can be a little buggers. He was in QT with a labouti and even though he was smaller was giving the labouti a hard time. Now that they are in my main tank he has eased up a bit. He still seems to charge or flash the labouti once in a while. Ignores the male carpenter and bipartitus though. I have a few more wrasses that i want to add so I'm going to have to keepman eye on him. Cool looking fish though.

beachbreak
04/24/2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys! I thought it was a line spot just not 100%.

I'll try the multiple additions on the next round. I've still got linneatus, jordani, rhomboid, orangeback and exquisitus to go from cirrhilabrus. If my wife ever finds out how much I spend on fish I'll be sleeping with them.

snorvich
04/24/2012, 11:47 AM
Are you using an acclimation box for social acclimation?

beachbreak
04/24/2012, 12:20 PM
Are you using an acclimation box for social acclimation?

I totally forgot with these guys! It's sitting there in my "reef closet" too... I just moved it up front by the acclimation box so I won't forget it next time.

snorvich
04/24/2012, 12:51 PM
I totally forgot with these guys! It's sitting there in my "reef closet" too... I just moved it up front by the acclimation box so I won't forget it next time.

Makes a BIG difference in adding wrasses to existing wrasses.

38bill
04/24/2012, 04:59 PM
Its funny just how different individual fish can be. My labouti may be the most shy fish in the tank (OK maybe tied with my Barred goby pair) and my Linespot totally mind his own business.

I just made an acclimation box so I could use it with my new male Rhomboid. All the fish totally ignored him while he was in the box. Never even looked at him. Once he was finally released the fight for pecking order commenced but they worked it out so all is good.

aquaph8
04/24/2012, 05:14 PM
My labouti is a punk too but luckily he's more bark then bite. I think he just likes to make them run a little. Just make sure your tank has a tight fitting top so they dont jump when being chased. Bill, mine do the same thing every time.