PDA

View Full Version : Amino acetic acid...aka glycine

Mikez1207
04/25/2012, 08:29 AM
Hey guys I heard somewhere that amino acids are good for corals...well I got an endless supply of this glycine (amino acetic acid) was just woundering if this is something I can use...its food grade

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/25/2012, 09:31 AM
You could use it, yes.

It isn't the amino acid I'd be most interested in, and most commercial reef additives are cocktails of many amino acids (usually identity and concentrations unknown), but if you have a ULNS system, it might be worth trying. :)

disc1
04/25/2012, 11:02 AM
I really wouldn't expect glycine, the simplest of all amino acids, is going to be something your tank is limited on. It mostly the larger aminos that are being added to tanks.

Glycine might be a decent carbon source for bacteria, but I'd expect vinegar to be much cheaper.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mikez1207
04/25/2012, 11:04 AM
I was hoping to here from you..since you seem like the right and all...now as far ULNS system...to b honest no idea wat that is...now for the other part what good is amino acid dosing really do for a reef tank..

Mikez1207
04/25/2012, 11:08 AM
I really wouldn't expect glycine, the simplest of all amino acids, is going to be something your tank is limited on. It mostly the larger aminos that are being added to tanks.

Glycine might be a decent carbon source for bacteria, but I'd expect vinegar to be much cheaper.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

well not really worried about cost...i get it from work so thats y I say I have an endless supply

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/25/2012, 01:26 PM
ULNS means ultra low nutrient system. So super low nitrate and phosphate, depriving corals and such of nutrients, often turning them more colorful as zoox levels in the corals decline.

That seems to be the situation where amino acids are useful.

Mikez1207
04/25/2012, 06:39 PM
Mmm ok I think I got it...so if I have low nitrate and phosphate glycine would help get rid of them allowing corals to get more of wat they need???

bertoni
04/25/2012, 08:51 PM
Glycine will help with fixed nitrogen, but I don't think it has any phosphorus in it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/26/2012, 04:56 AM
Unless it is used in the tablet formation process, glycine shouldn't have any phosphorus. It will say on the label if it does.

Mikez1207
04/26/2012, 05:10 AM
Ok got it...now ill check bag