PDA

View Full Version : Seeding A Benthic Tank?

Bore-Punch
04/25/2012, 11:50 AM
A little background.
So when I built the monstrosity that is my tank set-up I built into the DT an oversized Borneman surge device --- basically a 24x24x24 plywood tank that sits above my 220 DT with 2 toilet flush valves built into it. It works great but after the initial cycle I decided I already had too much flow so I disconnected the floats from the valves and just throttled the closed loop back so a nice steady slow flow goes into the tank then exits down the 2 overflows on the toilet valves. it’s completely dark and a lot of detritus and junk accumulates in there and on the live rocks. I put a Live Aquaria red sponge in there just as an experiment to see if filter feeders would do ok and after 2 months and no spot feeding whatsoever the sponge is doing great.

The Question:
What can/should I put in there? I heard Xenia can survive and propagate with no light? Does anyone make Benthic seed pack of sorts. I’m not doing Tyree's sponge rocks I researched them already and I’m not impressed with what he gives you for the price.