PDA

View Full Version : My Elegant mistake...

SKurj
04/25/2012, 03:05 PM
I have a new tank, 6 weeks old, and decided I wanted to get some corals on the weekend...
All but the elegance so far appear ok. I was lured by how good it looked in the store, I didn't do any research on elegance before hand. :headwally:

It hasn't extended anywhere near what was in the store it is quite shrivelled looking. It does open up somewhat but the tentacles have gone from inches in the store to less than 1/2in now. I noticed since I came home today that it is giving off some sort of mist.. have no idea what that could be.

I have only had it for 4 days now and haven't attempted to feed it yet, I plan on getting some live brine this weekend and see what happens. I have been running my lights on a very reduced schedule since I brought it home, with only 4 hours on the 10k's and 6 hours on the actinics. (4bulb T5Ho on a 16" deep tank)

Not sure what more I can do for it.. or what it maybe excreting into the tank. Tank is very lightly stocked with just some small LPS, Zoa frags, 2 x 1" gobies and the elegance.

jwoyshnar
04/25/2012, 06:31 PM
Your tank is too new to add anything let alone an elegance coral. If it isn't extending it probably won't feed

JAustin
04/28/2012, 07:14 AM
It is kinda early for the elegance. Just be pacient with it and be sure to maintain Cal ALk and Mag within range. Also keep and eye on your nitrates, you need to test every couple days wen your adding a bioload to you tank since it's so new and immature.

willietang021
04/28/2012, 12:22 PM
Tank is too new for an delicate coral like elegance. Just leave it at a slower flow and weaker light area, and see if it can survive. I won't force feed it when it is weak, the food might make it close even more.