PDA

View Full Version : Regal Angel Food

goldmullet
04/25/2012, 09:10 PM
I have a large regal angel and it has been over a week since he has eaten. I feed him mysis, frozen angel fish food but he won't even blink at any of it. Will they not eat out of the water column?

What should I feed him so he will eat?

D

Dr Colliebreath
04/25/2012, 09:27 PM
Keep trying the frozen PE mysis, Rods, and chopped shrimp and scallop fresh from the grocery store. You also might try live brine shrimp and live blackworms. It can take regals a while to start eating, particularly if they are large to start. You can try soaking the food in garlic extract as that frequently helps to get fish started eating.

Regals can be somewhat shy initially, so you might want to stand back from the tank. Is the regal in a QT or did you put it directly in your DT, and what other fish are there?

Mine eats just about all of the normal foods, including mysis, spirulina enhanced brine, chopped seafood, Rods, pellets, flakes, live blackworms, ON Angel formula, etc. It eats just fine from the water column. Keep trying, hopefully yours will get hungry enough to start eating.

goldmullet
04/25/2012, 09:50 PM
Mine is in the display tank. I have a yellow tang, blue tang, flame angel and chromis. Not many fish in the tank yet.

I am scared that he might starve to death. Do you just buy a fresh shrimp or scallop and put it in the tank? They like that?

rpjaws74
04/25/2012, 10:23 PM
Ive always shy away from buying any big angels for this reason theyve been exposed to long to there naturals foods and its harder to acclimate them to frozen or dried foods IMO! I know to late for this advice but hang in there I had a blueface who wouldnt eat for almost 3 weeks. Obviuosly he was picking at the rock and I bought some live sponge from my LFS just to keep him alive and healthy. And its also a natural food for them. Until one day he just started eating frozen mysis shrimp and he never stopped lol!!!

ryanrid
04/26/2012, 05:23 AM
Try fresh mussels and scollies they seem to love ultra grade haha

DarthSimon
04/26/2012, 10:24 AM
Clams on the half shell!!

SDguy
04/26/2012, 10:27 AM
Fresh mussels and clams (well, frozen first, then thawed) would be my choice. Either on the half shell, or minced, or both. Mine (RIP :( ) really liked the ON Spoecial Formula VHP stuff too...

I am concerned that you mention "since he has eaten"... was he eating previously? In your care? At the LFS? Could be sign of disease.

humaguy
04/26/2012, 10:27 AM
would try live brine or live blackworms...

Haffs09
04/26/2012, 10:57 AM
I have two that are going through QT right now. One is ~4" and the other is ~3.5". Both will graze on fresh clams, but when I remove them after 2-3 hours, it doesn't look like they ate anything. One occassionally will eat a few mysis shrimp and the other will occassionally eat a few brine shrimp. I froze a scallop and a clam and separately shredded a little bit using a cheese grater. Again, one fish likes the scallop and the other likes the clam. They only eat a little bit and then ignore the rest. I have also tried frozen bloodworms, Rod's food, a homemade frozen mix, ON angel formula, various flakes, different types of nori and NSF pellets to no avail. I'm happy they are grazing on something, but definitely not enough to sustain them long term. I may freeze a full size shrimp and then grate that.

I've had them for 2.5 weeks too. Good luck with yours!

Dr Colliebreath
04/26/2012, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=goldmullet;

I am scared that he might starve to death. Do you just buy a fresh shrimp or scallop and put it in the tank? They like that?[/QUOTE]

Yes, just buy a fresh shrimp and scallop, cut off a small piece, chop it up and drop it in the tank.

edjersey
08/18/2012, 04:04 PM
Try littleneck clams I got my RS regal a week ago and she only eats clams for 3days but now she learned to eat anything I put in the tank. what I did with mine is I feed the tank Rods food first when the other fish is full that's when I put the clams.then I skipped feeding for one day and tried Rods Pacific Plankton she watched the other fish eating it and now she eats anything I put in the tank.here is her vid the first day I got her. now she eats out of my hand I will update vid this week.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scbzEzo7SHI