PDA

View Full Version : file fish vs aptaisia

baby1-
04/26/2012, 04:01 AM
thinking of getting a file fish for aptaisia control,are they reef safe?,will the file fish kill my CBS ,emeralds, hermits or snails? is it safe to house a file fish with a BTA?PEOPLE told me filefish devour aptaisia. just curious...cause joes juice sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

IamTomm
04/26/2012, 04:17 AM
Yes they are reef safe. They work great on aptasia, also on rock/flower anemones(not intended). No clue if they pick btas or not. Mine never bothered hermits or snails or any other inverts. They are a cool fish to have.

baby1-
04/26/2012, 04:39 AM
what species of file fish do you have?

johnike
04/26/2012, 05:09 AM
I have a Matted, and it wiped out every Aiptasia in the tank and bothers nothing else.

kissman
04/26/2012, 05:16 AM
I have an aiptasia eating file fish, works great! Does not harm BTA

Ron Reefman
04/26/2012, 06:18 AM
The Matted Filefish is the only one listed that is an aiptasia eater. And it is also reef compatible 'WITH CAUTION'. Look it up for yourself. If you have nice corals (both sps and soft) beware. If you get lucky and it doesn't go after the coral, good for you. If it does go after the coral, be prepared to catch it AND find it a new home.

Good luck.

RA
04/26/2012, 07:55 AM
I was curious to know if any other fish such as wrasses would bother or eat the filefish.

kzoo
04/26/2012, 09:33 AM
Be carefull they will eat soft corals, had one pull it out after eating high end zoas.

baby1-
04/26/2012, 02:46 PM
The Matted Filefish is the only one listed that is an aiptasia eater. And it is also reef compatible 'WITH CAUTION'. Look it up for yourself. If you have nice corals (both sps and soft) beware. If you get lucky and it doesn't go after the coral, good for you. If it does go after the coral, be prepared to catch it AND find it a new home.

Good luck.

Thanks Ron .Youre advise is right 99% of the time since ive been following it..i did read up and ive heard both sides ...just like on here..lol... compatible ,non compatible,compatible with caution....etc..thank you...i wish i could afford a green lazer ...that thhing is wicked

Dholmblad
04/26/2012, 03:48 PM
Just get aptasia eating nudis

kissman
04/26/2012, 05:34 PM
My Aptasia Eating File Fish has never touched any of my corals nor my zoa's. But I was lucky when I got mine he was in a reef tank with corals and hadn't touched any of theres in the tank. I have read that its a 50/50 chance. I do keep mine well feed with a variety of foods maybe that helps

AcroporAddict
04/26/2012, 05:53 PM
Matted Filefish (aka aiptasia eating) work great against aiptasia and mojanos. I have one in my LPS tank that also has two RBTAs, and one in my SPS tank. I have not had issues with them eating desirable corals, but they can pick at some LPS like hammers/frogspawn. Seems to depend on the fish.

The fantastic thing about these guys is that they hide in plain sight, trying to look like a leaf of algae or a piece of coral. So if you need to catch them, black out your tank for an hour, and you can easily pull them out of the tank. They stay in place. So if you do get one that starts eating things they should not, you can pull them out without issue. Mine eat pellets and frozen.