PDA

View Full Version : NPS tank setup

cjtabares
04/26/2012, 09:00 PM
I have a 45 gallon tank setup that I was going to use for sps but I want to something different then the everyday reef tank. I have always wanted to do a NPS tank and decided to do it now. I think I am going to have a few sun corals colonies but also some NPS corals that filter smaller partial food. What i have now is...

45gal cube
2 10 gal sums
APEX controller
SuperReef Octopus 1000
MP10w
ATO
36 diode LED fixture

What should I change? What should I add to the setup. I am willing to spend time on this tank but also want to make this as easy as possible.

Thanks
Chris

kriv4o
04/26/2012, 09:19 PM
Might wanna look into food delivery system or a way to be able to asure constant food supply. It does sound like a cool idea thou.

MarineSniper
04/26/2012, 09:34 PM
You will need more flow than a single mp10 will provide, especially if you're going to keep filter type feeders. They require a great deal of flow. Your total volume will limit your total coral capacity, due to the water quality degradation that comes with the feeding they require. If you can add a larger sump, that will help; if that's not possible, you'll need to be prepared to do fairly large water changes, every 3 to 5 days. I'm currently adding a 300g sump to my 90g display volume to enhance water quality and reduce my changes. I currently do 22g water changes every 5 days. Even with that, I have to watch the feeding constantly

I would start with a small sun coral or dendro colony first. This will acclimate you to the basic care they need and give you a chance to decide if you can, or want to, dedicate the the time and effort they require. The smaller nps generally require higher water quality, finer foods that your cleanup crew can't easily remove and more frequent feedings...which goes against the water quality requirement!

Don't take this as an attempt to dissuade you! They are very rewarding to keep and the most beautiful corals one can have. They just require a massive amount of care that most don't. There's no option of not feeding, on those nights we don't feel like it or skipping a water change here and there. Start slow, with the easier ones and go from there!

cjtabares
04/26/2012, 09:53 PM
Might wanna look into food delivery system or a way to be able to asure constant food supply. It does sound like a cool idea thou.

Thanks. If I set one up would I want to shut down the return pump while it feeds?

You will need more flow than a single mp10 will provide, especially if you're going to keep filter type feeders. They require a great deal of flow. Your total volume will limit your total coral capacity, due to the water quality degradation that comes with the feeding they require. If you can add a larger sump, that will help; if that's not possible, you'll need to be prepared to do fairly large water changes, every 3 to 5 days. I'm currently adding a 300g sump to my 90g display volume to enhance water quality and reduce my changes. I currently do 22g water changes every 5 days. Even with that, I have to watch the feeding constantly

I would start with a small sun coral or dendro colony first. This will acclimate you to the basic care they need and give you a chance to decide if you can, or want to, dedicate the the time and effort they require. The smaller nps generally require higher water quality, finer foods that your cleanup crew can't easily remove and more frequent feedings...which goes against the water quality requirement!

Don't take this as an attempt to dissuade you! They are very rewarding to keep and the most beautiful corals one can have. They just require a massive amount of care that most don't. There's no option of not feeding, on those nights we don't feel like it or skipping a water change here and there. Start slow, with the easier ones and go from there!

I have had a dendro before and it did well while I had it. I also like the idea of a sun coral dominated tank, so I planned to start with them. Slowly add other types when I felt i was able. If I ever reach a point where I can not do anymore I would take a step back or just leave it as is if I am good where it is. I planned on a 2nd MP10w for the sps so that is fine. I might be able to go a little bigger on the sum but not much bigger with out changing things.
I would love a basement sump or use a room behind the tank but I live in an apartment right now so I don't have to much room.

MarineSniper
04/27/2012, 06:15 AM
Just watch your nitrates closely. When they begin to climb, you either need to cut back feeding the corals you have and stay at that number or increase the frequency of your water changes. At that point, if your No3 levels out, you've hit the max number of corals you can keep. If the amount of water changes is sufficient enough to drastically lower your nutrient level, you may be able to add more

I would recommend testing every 5 days, to start and would, personally, do them every 3 after the addition of any other small particle feeder. I have about 4 or 5 hundred heads of terrazoanthid and thought an addition of a gorg surely couldn't change things much. That little fan took me from 15g every 5 days to 22!

cjtabares
04/27/2012, 08:44 AM
Tanks. Is there any good reading material on NPS corals and tanks?

MarineSniper
04/28/2012, 12:13 PM
I'm sure there are good books out there but my experience and belief with them is that it's all dependent on your nutrients. They're not as incredibly hard as many will lead you to believe, they just require far more attention than other corals. Just monitor your nitrates, nitrites and ammonia; and adjust your feeding and water changes, accordingly. My personal belief is that many people get them and don't understand the diligence they demand. As long as you find the balance with your system, they are simply corals that need to be manually fed. People get them, don't find that balance, in regard to feeding and water changes, and their tanks take a dive! Then they tell everyone how they're impossible to keep!