PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Power center Day-night timer Fire!!!!

DeepSeaBeauti
04/27/2012, 07:06 AM
This timer has been giving me trouble since day one. I bought it as an nice solution to controlling my MH and Led cycles during the day to give my tank inhabitants a consistent light cycle as well as saving money on MH bulbs and electric cost!
The first issues were the two timers would never stay in sync, One was always running slow and would often get stuck at a certain point. I made due by correcting time time daily ( I could have just switched the lights myself at this point) and since it was my sunrise light it was OK since I was waking up around then. About two weeks ago the switch on the timer stuck on the on position! Now I could not turn it off at all not even manually. The last straw was last night when I arrived home to find my tank power off, the breaker tripped and the smoking gun! The power strip had caught fire, From the looks of things it was hot for a while! The plastic is all melted and deformed.
After owning this strip for only a year the amount of failures I have dealt with are unacceptable for a $50 power strip!!

laredo300c
04/27/2012, 07:30 AM
I ordered mine from the good doctors, never worked from day one. Still remember my wife's look from looking at 50 dollars down the drain, got lowes 10 dollar dual timers, so far so good.

The one thing I actually tell the wife the actual price, and look what happens. Damn you coralife power center!

DeepSeaBeauti
04/27/2012, 07:53 AM
I ordered mine from the good doctors, never worked from day one. Still remember my wife's look from looking at 50 dollars down the drain, got lowes 10 dollar dual timers, so far so good.

The one thing I actually tell the wife the actual price, and look what happens. Damn you coralife power center!

What timers did you purchase at lowes. I was there last night cause my LFS did not have any timers at all. I did not see anything at Lowes that looked like it would work for me.
It now has me looking at aquarium controllers. I'm just not sure how to sneak that bill past the wife! :deadhorse:

sirreal63
04/27/2012, 08:08 AM
They have a long history of failure, and many that caught fire over the years. I am glad that nothing more serious happened, it easily could have.

DeepSeaBeauti
04/27/2012, 08:29 AM
I agree sirreal63. I knew I should have returned it the first moment I had trouble with the timer getting stuck randomly and having to manually readjust it.

sirreal63
04/27/2012, 09:01 AM
I am using a GE SunSmart Digital timer, dual outlets but function in tandem, but that is ok too. It has worked pretty well, I got it at either Depot or Lowes.

fishgate
04/27/2012, 12:04 PM
Crap I think I have that one too (Coralife Aqualight Power Center Timer). My timers don't work well either I just turn everything on and off manually. Maybe I should get rid of it.

sirreal63
04/27/2012, 12:32 PM
That makes sense, don't you think? :-) These timers have been around a long time, and there have been several threads here in the past with them burned up, one guy got lucky, the stand caught fire and when the tank burst it put out the fire.

DeepSeaBeauti
04/27/2012, 12:56 PM
Crap I think I have that one too (Coralife Aqualight Power Center Timer). My timers don't work well either I just turn everything on and off manually. Maybe I should get rid of it.

I would remove it ASAP. It really is build very poorly. If your switching it manually its only a matter of time. The micro switch they use is just not durable enough to be switched for many cycles. It begins to fail and cause high resistance and then shorts out and causes a fire. I got real, real, real lucky! Mine could have been way worse!!!

That makes sense, don't you think? :-) These timers have been around a long time, and there have been several threads here in the past with them burned up, one guy got lucky, the stand caught fire and when the tank burst it put out the fire.

Thats incredible and scary as hell. I don't want to think of the thought of stand fire!!! My house is 107 years old and would go up like a book of matches!!

aleonn
04/27/2012, 01:29 PM
Scary stuff, I'm surprised there isn't a recall with this timer. I know it's expensive, but go with an Apex controller (maybe even a Lite or Jr. version). It'll save you a lot of time, money, and headaches in the long term.

DeepSeaBeauti
04/28/2012, 06:29 AM
Scary stuff, I'm surprised there isn't a recall with this timer. I know it's expensive, but go with an Apex controller (maybe even a Lite or Jr. version). It'll save you a lot of time, money, and headaches in the long term.

Yeah, I was looking into that controller. Ive wanted it for a while and feel it will really come in handy with the new 300g that I'm building now. I've also been working on a LabView based PLC to control my system. I have access to all kinds of NI products and love the customization I go do with it for my system.

Reef or Die
04/28/2012, 07:28 AM
I have read a few threads about these timers catching fire. I had one which stuck also and after I read my first thread about how they were fire prone I threw it in the garbage. Very dangerous.
Glad things didn't turn out worse!!

rjcranor
04/28/2012, 09:26 AM
I used the dual timer for years without any issues. I purchased a t-5 light with built in timer. So I use my dual timer for my power heads now, still no issues. Sorry you got a bad one.

macktab
04/28/2012, 09:45 AM
I have several of the coralife digital (no timer knobs) version and never had a problem. I got these because I never liked the way my houshold light timers would sometimes stick in a position. My digital has a UL listing tag on the back, wondering if the dual timers are listed as well.

DeepSeaBeauti
04/30/2012, 08:32 AM
I used the dual timer for years without any issues. I purchased a t-5 light with built in timer. So I use my dual timer for my power heads now, still no issues. Sorry you got a bad one.

Well, you have been warned. I'm just one of many that have had this issue. $50 timer or $xxx,000 for a house fire?

I have several of the coralife digital (no timer knobs) version and never had a problem. I got these because I never liked the way my houshold light timers would sometimes stick in a position. My digital has a UL listing tag on the back, wondering if the dual timers are listed as well.

It has a UL listing for a relocation power tap. But with that sad its probably worth noting that although the power strip caught fire and melted into a puddle of plastic it did not spread past the strip. But I also keep the power strips away from everything just in case. If it was close to anything flammable I'm sure it would have spread and this would be a different story.

Also, the fire is one thing, but the quality of the unit is still under question. The timers were always causing problems. Falling short on time, getting stuck, or sticking on.

macktab
05/05/2012, 11:41 AM
Yea it is unsettling to me, seeing several fixture plugged into a strip and having faith that it will operate safely, UL rating or not, manufacturing and material defects exist, and design flaws. I am thinking of having an electrician change out the breakers feeding my tank curcuit.

I am thinking of Arc Fault (AFCI) type to prevent arcing/fires.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc-fault_circuit_interrupter

jerpa
05/05/2012, 11:56 AM
Here is a good read on outlet strips.

http://www.beananimal.com/articles/outlet-strips.aspx

Fishbulb2
05/05/2012, 01:30 PM
Some of the most basic controllers I believe are now just a little over $100. Considering that you get like 6-8 timers plus real programability is a cool plus. I have an old Aquacontroller Jr. and now an Apex. I love the Apex, but even the Aquacontroller is great compared to old school timers. I would consider a basic reef controller if you can. It doesn't seem like it will do anything "special" for your tank, but once you get one you will never go back.

FB

DeepSeaBeauti
05/07/2012, 08:24 AM
I received an email from them a couple days ago. I was told........

William,

I am sorry you have had issues with the dual timer. We have found that for halide use the dual timer is not the best choice. The timer can handle up to 1800 watts but by having the large constant draw through two or three outlets can cause the gears in the unit to fail due to the residual temperature increase.

If you still have a copy of your receipt I can send 2 digital units to replace the dual timer. If you no longer have the receipt please contact me. We can have you send the unit in for replacement.

LuAnn
><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.
•´¯`•.¸. , . .•´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>
¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

LuAnn Milbrandt
Technical Support
Central Aquatics

This is all well and good if I was able to find the recite. Damn paper recites!!

maynardjames
05/07/2012, 08:54 AM
I too used digital version for about 5 years both no longer work in timed funtion so I got rid of them . Got A outdoor timer with 2 grounded plugs & 7 day multiple input for like 16 dollars works great. Guess I was just one of the lucky Ones not to have problems. I wouldn't recommend one to anybody

Reverend Reefer
10/15/2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah me too. My coralife timer is now sticking but I'm not surprised. I've had it for several years (maybe 5?). My question is, is there an alternative in the same 50$ price range? Or do I risk a lemon and get another coralife one? I like how they worked when they did work and the reviews on that GE digital weren't great oh depot's customer reviews so... What to do? Do controllers take up a lot of space? Are there really ones just over a hundred? Will I be now moving up a step in reefing where I'm now entering the lowest end of a different beast altogether so that a 100$ controller is the worst out there compared to a 50$ 'special' timer? Sorry, now I'm just nervous about fires.... And I don't understand why this particular type of timer (where they work in tandem switching) need should cost so much but maybe I'm not understanding something.