PDA

View Full Version : Cyano in refugium

reefnewbie83177
04/27/2012, 08:02 AM
I seem to have a little outbreak of cyano in my refugium. No Cyano in DT. Do I need to be worried about this? Here are my params:

NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 0
pH = 8.0-8.3
T=78.6
Phosphate = Undetectible
Alk = 9
Ca = 470

Thanks,

Palting
04/27/2012, 08:13 AM
Everything is a matter of opinion. Here's mine.

The refugium is where you grow macroalgae for them to consume nitrates/ phoshates. etc so that none will be available for nuisance growth in your DT. In my refugium I encourage conditions for algae, and I let all kinds of algae grow in there. I also allow cyano to grow in there, for the same reason that I allow both macro and regular algae to grow in there: consume phosphates /nitrates so that the DT remains clean.

I short, I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, I would make sure the refugium conditions encourage it while making the DT conditions unfavorable for it, so that there is less chance for the cyano to end up in the DT.

BigCountry74
04/27/2012, 08:15 AM
Everything is a matter of opinion. Here's mine.

The refugium is where you grow macroalgae for them to consume nitrates/ phoshates. etc so that none will be available for nuisance growth in your DT. In my refugium I encourage conditions for algae, and I let all kinds of algae grow in there. I also allow cyano to grow in there, for the same reason that I allow both macro and regular algae to grow in there: consume phosphates /nitrates so that the DT remains clean.

I short, I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, I would make sure the refugium conditions encourage it while making the DT conditions unfavorable for it, so that there is less chance for the cyano to end up in the DT.

x2

It grows in my fuge also.
:D

chrispc66
04/27/2012, 08:26 AM
I'm not so sure, under equilibrium conditions, cyano should not grow in the fuge. Very low flow conditions may encourage cyano, either by a clogged fuge, ( harvest time ), or minimal flow through the fuge, ( increase flow a little )

I have seen cyano outbreaks on the surface of fuges where flow rates are low caused by masses of caulerpa. in these instances, flow is normally OK when the caulerpa is harvested.

cheers

BigCountry74
04/27/2012, 08:46 AM
yeah i switched fuge configs (removed the chaeto and built a scrubber). so i lost a good bit of flow. I'm assuming that's why it's growing down there now on one side. but like Palting said better there than my DT :D

i guess i could throw a small powerhead down there but i dunno. i like that fuge kinda dirty :D

reefnewbie83177
04/27/2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks everyone!!! That is pretty much what I thought but wanted to check with the experts. I don't have a ton of flow going through my sump, but I don't really know how to fix that without increasing the diameter of the overflow holes (I just have two 1" bulkheads with screens for overflow), and I am not drilling bigger holes. I have half my refugium filled with Chaeto, and a lot of other algaes growing. I will just keep an eye on it. I have never had any cyano in my DT. Does the CUC take care of cyano or just other neusence algae?

chrispc66
04/30/2012, 04:29 AM
The problem with cyano in the fuge is the smothering effect to your desirable macro, hence decreased growth / phosphate reduction.

I'm not sure about the nutrient reduction capabilities of cyano, however I would not think it to be anywhere near as high as caulerpa species.

Try turning off the fuge lights for two days, harvest a little macro to increase the flow and see if this reduces the cyano