PDA

View Full Version : Falling in love with Worms

Lyvric
04/27/2012, 10:08 AM
My corals struggle a fair bit, except the mushrooms. My lime sized hermit crab, rightfully called The Tarrasque, thinks he's all that. I still want corals, but if I want my unique invertebrates, I'll need to be more selective.

Now when I bought the tank second hand, I wasn't expecting it to be black and dying miserably. After a few cycles, the only thing left was a purple feather duster. Now that signs of excellent health is noticeable everywhere and I've watched the fish happily hang out with the duster, I've grown attached.

The small relatives on the glass I keep are awesome (except on the front)

What of I made my tank worm based and decorated it with dusters of all colors and shapes. Would that look awesome? Or silly?

Reef tank with worms
Or
Worm tank with reef?

Biscuit37
04/27/2012, 10:50 AM
Looking awesome is totally subjective. If it makes you feel good, do it.

~Tyler

tebstan
04/27/2012, 10:53 AM
Feather dusters are awesome. There aren't too many varieties available in stores unless you can get a LFS to place some special orders. There are some cool ones out there, though.

Are you wanting to do go a species specific route, or are you worried about compatibility? There are plenty of things that can go with feather dusters.

izzy123
04/27/2012, 11:05 AM
I've seen a featherdustertank before, I cannot remember where tho.... but it looked great, and as stated above, if you like it, do it.

Dont worry about what other people think

Hope this helps

reeferstace
04/27/2012, 12:23 PM
I like feather dusters. :)

Biscuit37
04/27/2012, 02:34 PM
If you do, do it. Post pics! Maybe you'll convince others of the awesomeness :)

~Tyler

fdonophan
04/27/2012, 02:41 PM
I love feather dusters too - I bought a mushroom rock last week simply because it had 3 yellow and purple striped ones, lol! Good luck finding some unique ones, and post pictures when you do!

Lyvric
04/27/2012, 03:53 PM
Aw, thanks for the imput guys :D. If this works out, I'll totally put a pic up

Ron Reefman
04/27/2012, 04:52 PM
There is an old quarry in the Keys that is saltwater. The sides slope down at a 30 degree angle until the water is about 12-15 feet deep, then it goes vertical down to something like 40 feet. The slope from about 8-10 feet deep, down to the vertical drop is literally carpeted with red feather dusters. I'd guess 10's to even 100's of thousands of them. And this ledge is about 3-400 feet long. It's totally amazing. And as you snorkel along the ledge they close up just in front of you and open again shortly after you pass by. It's like people doing the 'wave' in a stadium or arena. I've seen some nice little colonies with 10-100 of them on coral heads, but never anything like this.

So if Mother Nature can do it, you can too. The whole point is for you to have fun and enjoy what you end up with. Who cares what other people think?

ajcanale
04/27/2012, 06:08 PM
^ thats awesome!