PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Tops

FishDad2
04/27/2012, 12:16 PM
I'm contemplating the addition of some fish that like to jump (Carpenter's Fairy Wrasse, etc.) which represents a problem for me with my open-top tank. I could of course get some glass an make a top but then I'd effectively lose all that surface area for oxygenation.

The tank is 225g, 72w x 30h x 24d.

I'm looking for alternative tank top ideas that will allow me to keep the fish from jumping to their doom while also permitting oxygenation at the surface of the DT.

aandfsoccr04
04/27/2012, 12:25 PM
http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk366/aandfsoccr04/screen.jpg

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk366/aandfsoccr04/screen1.jpg

FishDad2
04/27/2012, 12:42 PM
Oooohhhh...what is it and where did u get it?

aandfsoccr04
04/27/2012, 02:22 PM
I just ordered it online with a screen frame and some twine and made it at home. I like the really small holes so that small fish like gobies can't jump out and light can still penetrate through really well not to mention it doesn't take away from the look of the tank in my opinion.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/clear-1-4-screen-netting-7-x-3.html

FishDad2
04/27/2012, 02:34 PM
That's what I thought...custom screen frame with 1/4 netting. Very nice.

I'd have to add a handle so I can lift it up for feeding but that shouldn't be particularly difficult.

Did you paint the frame with Rustoleum or something similar to protect against corrosion?

ScottRT
04/27/2012, 07:52 PM
Yep, I have done the same. You can get the 1/4 clear mesh off of BRS, and can get the corners, spline, and aluminum rails at your local hardware store in the screen section.

jim.crunk
04/27/2012, 09:05 PM
I have to also suggest the BRS clear mesh. I have been using it for awhile now and love it. Unfortunately I have lost 3 fish due to jumping out of the tank in the past but since assembling the net tops I havent even had to think about it and with any tank I will ever own that doesnt have an enclosed canopy I will use this type of top.
You can get everything you need to assemble your tops from Lowes or HD, but I looked very hard to find the clear netting locally w/no luck. Just order from BRS, they have it and it is a good price.

FishDad2
04/27/2012, 09:27 PM
I'm going to hit the local hardware store tomorrow...Home Depot if necessary. Hopefully I can get the mesh locally but I have to I'll order from BRS...won't be the first time I've ordered from them ;-)

Thanks

ScottRT
04/28/2012, 07:54 PM
I have found out that many times the mesh is not caried in the actual screen section, but instead in the gardening section. It is sold as a varment or bird netting.

Neroon
04/28/2012, 09:42 PM
I used the mesh from the BRS and frames from the Home Depot. I take the top of my aquarium a few times a week for feeding, maintenance, etc., and I was never satisfied with the strength of those frames. They simply flexed too much and were just flimsy. I ended up taking the mesh to a screen company, describing my need and having them professionally done. It cost me about $50 for three screens to cover my 180. I have no regrets as they are much stronger than the ones I did myself. Just another option...

ScottRT
04/29/2012, 01:49 AM
You can actually make the frames more sturdy if you swap out the plastic corner pieces that just slide into the aluminum frames with the metal corner pieces that fit in the same way, but have a small screww to tighten in place. these allow much less flexing than the normal plastic corner fittings do.

TheSaint216
04/29/2012, 04:20 AM
I used egg crate on my 20. I have 120 watt LEDs and never noticed any light distortion. Plus I could cut around things like my hob Skimmer for a better fit. Cost me $12 from home depot and had a bunch of crate left. Try Lowes for the clear netting, they just seem to have more, depot is always a let down for me.

GSMguy
04/29/2012, 06:53 AM
I used the black bird netting from lowes garden center it is the same as the BRS but black, the black does not block more light than the clear.

Triggercdog
04/29/2012, 07:23 AM
I use egg crate....works great and is very cheap!!!

FishDad2
04/30/2012, 07:08 AM
Eggcrate is another consideration and it would be easier to fit tightly around the plumbing. Depending on the size of the fish though the holes might be too big. I did read somewhere in a post about small fish who like to jump that eggcrate was not recommended for that reason.

I didn't get a chance to pickup supplies this weekend so I still have time to make my decision. I'm still leaning towards the window screen solution but eggcrate certainly is a worthy consideration.

Neroon
04/30/2012, 08:28 AM
Just to reiterate, be careful with eggcrate if you have jumpers. I lost a fairly large diamond goby that way, and I was positive he couldn't fit through the the holes.

FishDad2
04/30/2012, 08:56 AM
Eggcrate with a layer of the netting underneath could be an easy to make hybrid solution.

In my case, eggcrate would do a better job of fitting around the plumbing...at least it would be easier to implement a sturdy solution in that regard...don't know if it would be "better" in the end, just easier to make.

I may try laying some old eggcrate in there now just to see its effect on the lighting. If it's not problematic, which I don't think it will be given that I have T5 lighting with a good spread of bulbs so I can't imagine shadows would be created, the solution for me might be eggcrate with a layer of netting underneath. It shouldn't be difficult to get a snug fit...glue and/or zip ties.

Options...I like having options.

DeepSeaBeauti
04/30/2012, 09:11 AM
I recently made the switch to egg crate after my glass top shattered an caused my MH light to fall in. The egg crate is nice for a tight fit around the tank, On mine I use a small tubber-ware funnel to feed my fish, makes it very easy. I only lift the egg crate if I have to get inside.
I almost bought the BRS screan but would have cost me WAY too much for my 125, Egg crate was a better option, IMO.

FishDad2
04/30/2012, 09:40 AM
The feeding funnel idea is cool but with my setup I'd have to stand on a stepladder to see into the funnel. As that just isn't practical for me I'll have no choice but to lift the eggcrate/screen to feed. So, I'll probably just create a tall handle that I can easily grasp to lift the screen for feeding. If I use zip ties to attach the eggcrate/screen to the plumbing on the opposite side it will act as a hinge so lifting it up and placing it back down should be manageable without a stepladder.

Hopefully I can find the 1/4" mesh or an equivalent at my local hardware store or Home Depot.