PDA

View Full Version : Will water changes lower parameters?

JMurphy97
04/27/2012, 05:03 PM
I'm using instant ocean salt and do 5 gallon water changes on a 29 gallon system. I'm in the process of trying to get the ca, alk, and mag up to proper levels for stoney corals. So if they water coming in does not contain enough or each mineral then will the levels drop even with using kalk in the ato?

After this bucket is done I'm planning on switching to reef crystals.

bellis31
04/27/2012, 05:10 PM
I'm using instant ocean salt and do 5 gallon water changes on a 29 gallon system. I'm in the process of trying to get the ca, alk, and mag up to proper levels for stoney corals. So if they water coming in does not contain enough or each mineral then will the levels drop even with using kalk in the ato?

After this bucket is done I'm planning on switching to reef crystals.

If the salt your using does not contain extra minerals then no your not going to hit your target numbers of ALK, MAG and CAL. You would have to dose those to raise the values. Reef Crystals does contain extra minerals so with the right size water change or water changes you could get your numbers up and lock them in with kalkwasser in your ATO.

JMurphy97
04/27/2012, 05:14 PM
So then I would have to test the new water and dose to get it to where it needs to be before adding it to the tank?

bellis31
04/27/2012, 08:28 PM
So then I would have to test the new water and dose to get it to where it needs to be before adding it to the tank?

Nope just do your water change and then dose whats needed to the whole tank! Remember to bring them up one at a time MAG first and slowly.

machodik
04/27/2012, 10:33 PM
I also have the same issue. I m using brand like ATK and just recently both a bucket of coral life (not yet using it), I have experices that everytime I do some percentage / weekly water changes then I have to always add back or dose additional Mgcl2 and cacl2 inorder to pull up my Ca and Mg level.

So I wonder that water changes aside from lowering your nutrient, it really not really parallel to subsidizing some loss basic elements.

bertoni
04/28/2012, 04:57 AM
Most tanks require supplementation to keep the calcium and alkalinity in line:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

Magnesium sometimes is fine without additions.

Water changes can help add trace elements and generally help move the ionic balance back towards reasonable levels, as well as removing organics and other contaminants.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/28/2012, 06:30 AM
I doubt the IO is noticeably reducing parameters unless you are trying to keep them onthe high side, or are keeping the salinity lower than 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264).

What do you measure the tank at and what do you measure in the IO?

JMurphy97
04/28/2012, 08:42 PM
I'm trying to keep the following levels:

Mag- 1350
Cal- 420
Alk- 9 dkh2

I tested the new water today before doing a change and they came in at:

Mag- 1155
Cal- 365
Alk- 11.6 (could it be this high)

I did not test the DT since my two part is sitting overnight. I'll test in the morning and start to dose then. I'm thinking maybe I did the alk test wrong because that seems really high when the others are on the low side. Also once the tank parameters are set and dosing kalk in the ato why would I dose the whole tank after water changes? If the new water is dosed to the right levels as the DT then it should be kept in check with the kalk right?

bertoni
04/29/2012, 01:14 AM
Those numbers are possible, chemically, but IO should be higher than that in calcium and magnesium, unless you have a very old container. I'd try stirring up the dry salt mix or rolling the container around, in case there's been some settling.

Kalk might or might not be able to keep up with the calcium and alkalinity consumption of the tank. There are plenty of tanks in both those categories. Kalk is a very dilute supplement.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/29/2012, 06:18 AM
What salinity was that new IO?

JMurphy97
04/29/2012, 12:17 PM
The new water was 1.026 or 35 PPT. This is what I keep my tank at also. I'm not sure how much water evaporates each day, but the pump does come on quite a bit. The temp stays about 79-80.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/29/2012, 02:45 PM
I suspect testing error in the magnesium value for IO at 35 ppt, or else a poorly mixed bag that you took just a part of. That is way below the manufacturer specs for IO.

JMurphy97
04/29/2012, 03:05 PM
Yes sir it was a error on my part with the thrid part of the test. I just finished testing the DT and I got the following results:

Mag- 1,380
Cal- 360
Alk- 9.6 dkh

I have roughly 33 total gallons so I will add 7 oz. to the tank and retest the cal. Other then that I'm thinking it's time to add the kalk to the ato and start looking for lps frags!

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/29/2012, 03:12 PM
Sounds good!

Good luck. :)