PDA

View Full Version : Coraline not visible

Anthrax15
04/28/2012, 12:13 AM
When my lights are off, I can see small coraline patches everywhere in my tank. But when my lights are on, I don't see anything but brown rock.

AI Sol Blue
Marco Rock

Tank is 3 months old. I'm starting to see growth of my coral and things are coming along nicely. I just don't see any good coraline growth. It grows in my skimmer, in the sump baffles but just not in the DT.

Any thing I can do?

E36328i
04/28/2012, 12:34 AM
I noticed my coralline is less visible since I switched to LEDs too. I know it is there but not as "purple" anymore. This is with the ReefKoi LED light. The Radions I have at work display coralline algae beautifully.

bertoni
04/28/2012, 04:58 AM
If the calcium and alkalinity are good, the coralline should grow out eventually. Are you sure you're seeing coralline? I'd just give it some more time if so. What else is in the tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/28/2012, 06:28 AM
Coralline usually grows faster on plastic than it does on glass or rock, so it probably eventually will get growing on the rock. :)

Anthrax15
04/28/2012, 10:35 AM
But it already is growing on my rock. I can see it at night with a flash light or from my overhead light but when the LED's are on, it is so faint it's almost not visible :/ A friend of mine noticed very bright coraline algae after he started dosing kalk in his auto top off so that is what I started about 2 weeks ago.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/28/2012, 12:33 PM
FWIW, I've never heard of anyone able to see their coralline only with a flashlight.

What doe sit look like?

GeoJ
04/28/2012, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a light reflective thing to me, I would Play with the LED color mix ratios to see if the light mix is the issue.

bertoni
04/29/2012, 01:11 AM
I'm not convinced you're seeing coralline. It might be a sponge or any number of other organisms.