PDA

View Full Version : 5.5 gallon Pico FOLWR Circulation Requirements?

Bedlamer
04/28/2012, 07:36 AM
I had someone ask me some questions the other day about setting up a SW FOWLR pico 5.5 gallon. I was able to give him most of the answers he asked, but there was one on power heads/circulation I thought I would follow up on here. The guy is an experienced freshwater hobbyist. He has never done SW. I gave him a list of tips and considerations. His situation is that he is on a tight budget. He has a young son who would really like a “Nemo”. Proposed stocking list is one ocellaris clownfish, one banded coral shrimp, 4 little snails, and 4 small hermit crabs. Equipment would be 5 lb of rock, a run of the mill standard 5.5 gallon glass aquarium, a heater and an Aqua Clear 50 HOB with various media bags. Once or twice a week water changes. He asked what kind of power head to use. That’s the part I’m unsure about.

I usually see people stating that for a SW tank the combined total circulation should be 5-10 times per hour, with most people shooting for the higher end of that range. The AC 50 has a maximum rated flow of 200gph. Those figures are usually done in an ideal case scenario with no media. Let’s say 125 gph actual with the basket full of various media. That’s about 23 times turnover per hour. I understand that would be a very regular flow, not random, and detritus will tend to settle out of the water column more, requiring more attention to vacuuming during water changes. So my first question is—is additional flow required or recommended or it would be nice, for the tank set up I have described above?

If you were to add extra flow, in that small of a tank what would you add for a low budget powerhead. The 2 that came to mind for me were the Marineland Maxi-Jet 400, and the Koralia Nano Evolution 240. The 240 is rated down to a 10 gallon tank. Would it be too much flow for the ocellaris? Is there a better cheapie choice for a pico?

Lastly, is there a turnkey solution to running an ATO for this small system? Maybe something that could be clipped onto the AC 50? It would have to have a tiny sensor I guess?

Thank you in advance for any constructive comments and suggestions.

macktab
04/28/2012, 11:18 AM
I had a Koralia NE 240 on my 8gallon nano and flow was way too much, and ended up spending $$ on an MP10 which works great. Maybe if you set up the filter along the short side - you could get some turbulent flow on the far side. I would think about an assymetrical rock layout on the far side to help flush them out. I suppose you could also set up a small powerhead with adjustable flow like the mini-jet 404 on the opposing far side of filter as well. In the filter you could run boyds mini (3.1oz) chemipure elite to help with phosphate/silicate removal. Put some basic filter floss under the media bag and change floss every couple days. Change the filter media after not much more than two months. I would change 20% of the water every week.

edit..
I read that JBJ, tunze, spectrapure make very good ATO's but I have no experience with them and they wil cost 80-200+$.
A gravity feed drip dosing may be an economical DIY solution. A food grade plastic container (upside down w/plastic screw-on cap and find an o-ring seal at hardware store. Maybe drill a hole in the cap and silicone seal a nylon nipple to it. Attach airline tubing with a plastic adjustable air valve to set drips/minute.
Use distilled or RO water only.

Agu
04/29/2012, 12:16 AM
The AC 50 will be more than adequate for a 5.5 FOWLER.

If you still want back up flow look into a Tunze mini (http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/T5024_04.html). Plenty of extra flow and they're small.