PDA

View Full Version : Power use and Refugium question

CHG107
04/28/2012, 06:51 PM
I currently have a Aquaclear 50 HOB Refugium mod on my tank. My girlfriend has all of a sudden started getting on my case about the electric bill (although she absolutely loves the tank to death). She asked if there was any way to turn something off even for half the day just to help a little on the bill.

Mainly my question is would I be able to grow chaeto successfully and have it actually benefit my tank with the filter and light running say only 10 hours a day? Not sure if it needs constant flow 24/7 is all. Thanks!

shifty51008
04/28/2012, 07:10 PM
you will want the flow, if you turn off the flow it can start anarobic (sp.) bacteria (I think thats what it is called) from no movement which could cause ammonia in your tank. the lights can only be ran 8 hours a day and the cheato will be fine. besides an aquaclear 50 is not adding much to your elec. bill. maybe 5.00 at the most a month

CHG107
04/28/2012, 07:13 PM
She is ok with it all since she enjoys the tank too. I just said I would see if there was anything possibly we could shut off for half the day and that was the only thing I could think of. I would not want to risk any ammonia getting into my tank. Worked hard and have spent a lot of $ in this hobby, to risk something like that is just not worth it.

starmanres
04/28/2012, 07:23 PM
Usually pumps, lights and chillers are your biggest offenders when it comes to power consumption. I would suggest getting a Kill-a-Watt meter that will tell you exactly what your power consumption is and you can actually multiply out your exact costs. Moving to LED's and ensuring you are not using over-sized pumps could lower your power use.

thegrun
04/28/2012, 08:44 PM
I've had my refugium on a 17 hour per day schedule (opposite your DT main lighting) for years. It is my preferred way of lighting the chaeto as it helps level out the Ph swings.That said, the refugium light does not use that much power. I do ramp down my MP-10s at night also but again with minimal savings.

bnumair
04/28/2012, 08:59 PM
there is not much in this hobby that u can cut corners with. biggest energy hogs are chiller and heater, then lights and pumps. chiller and heater are already self controlled so u cant shut them off thier use is minimum. lights can be restricted to 6-8hrs per day and pumps have to run 24hrs.
so after spending so much time and money if u decide to go cheap some where it will eventually cost you more in long run in tank disasters. my 2 cents.

reef4life07
04/28/2012, 11:00 PM
You can redo your sump to where you can make the water flow naturally through the cheato. I have a 10g sump, 1st chamber is where the skimmer is, 2nd refuge where the cheato floats and water flows through and falls over the 3rd's chamber baffle. And the section where I got refuge I also have 2 reactors, so the reactors pump helps with flow. You can also use a nano pump if needed. My sump light is only on for 6 hours. Good luck

CHG107
04/29/2012, 06:32 AM
Well I am sumpless. I don't really have any way to get a sump till I hopefully upgrade in the next year. I would never want to risk my tanks health for only a few bucks so I will Defenitly leave it on. Worked way to hard to have my tank crash.