PDA

View Full Version : Getting super clean base rock...

JaneG
04/28/2012, 10:00 PM
Hello :wave:

I am in the process of setting up a new 120g/150g over the summer and have bought the rock already from BRS (dry Pukani). I put it in a trash can with a small powerhead, RO/DI water and salt, and was just going to let it cure - but I read the Pukani in particular can release a lot of phosphates. As I am moving in my SPS from a nano I have, I want this rock to be as phosphate free as possible. So what I did was a Muratic acid bath.

I kept the rock in the trashcan (I didn't realise until it was over that it was still SALTwater - I hope that's ok :worried:), put in the muratic acid at a 1:10 ratio, and let it sit for 15 minutes. After that, I added a box of baking soda to try to neutralize it and then I dumped it out. I rinsed it off with the hose 2 times and am now putting fresh RO/DI in. From here, I am wondering:

1. Now that the rock is "clean" (and I do put that in quotes because while it is mostly all white I can still see crud in some areas), do you think it would be a good idea to put it in my sump or is that asking for trouble?

2. Did I mess up at all or do I need to take any extra steps?

3. Are there any other tips that you would suggest to get this rock as clean as possible? Some areas still have brownish stuff but I got most of it off.

TucanSam007
04/28/2012, 10:09 PM
Is this a brand new tank? I used dry pukani to start the cycle in my new tank and added sps after a month. At 2 months all my sps are in and doing fine. I'm sure you'll be fine as well. You just have to make sure your parameters are in check.

bertoni
04/29/2012, 01:24 AM
If you want to be very cautious, you could try curing the rock in a tub for a bit. If the phosphate stays at zero for a week or so, I'd probably declare victory. It's possible for rock to be contaminated deeply, but that seems unlikely. I'd probably cure the rock separately, personally, since it's fairly easy for me.