PDA

View Full Version : Tanked Tv show

psilentchild
04/29/2012, 07:20 AM
I'm not sure where to put this, but since it was a reef tank then I will put it here. Did anybody see yesterday's show? They built a spade shape tank. It was pretty cool looking, but one thing bother me. How is the owner of the tank suppose to clean it or get out any dead fish? They put a Mandarin fish in a new tank and the should only go into a establish tank. I feel they should advise their customers of the disadvantages of building an odd shape tank or refuse to do it because it's not going to end up pretty in the end. What's some of you all take on this poorly designed tank?

walvis
04/29/2012, 07:34 AM
Dismal success rate...

smoknta
04/29/2012, 07:40 AM
I was thinking the same. I don't even think they acclimated the fish.

auem
04/29/2012, 07:57 AM
'tanked' is a show made by precocious dumbs to attract deep pocketed dumbers as customers.....so that's expected...

psilentchild
04/29/2012, 08:07 AM
If I was building tanks I would have advised the guy that I could build the tank, but it's going ti be hard to clean that tank.

dixiedog
04/29/2012, 08:36 AM
Like almost all reality TV, the show is just monumentally stupid.

brettinteriors
04/29/2012, 09:24 AM
I take it for what its worth. I enjoy seeing fish and beautiful tanks. Like all reality TV shows they have to add drama and excitement to appeal to general audiences otherwise it wouldn't be popular enough to be on. I am sure it brings newbies in too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

29reef
04/29/2012, 10:56 AM
The timelines you see and what actually happens aren't the same... Or at least I'd expect it to be that way. "reality tv" IBTL

Nyc Joe
04/29/2012, 11:19 AM
It's editing , it's filmed over a few weeks at least.
The magic of tv isn't always what it seems.

littlec984
04/29/2012, 11:36 AM
I dont like that show either for whats its worth. i think it sells so much false hope, and probably cost a lot of expensive fish their lives

KingTang
04/29/2012, 11:47 AM
They do acclimate, but what's the point of showing acclimation on tv? Like watching paint dry on Holmes on Homes.

The show is cool because unlike OCC they all get along, no major fights like all reality shows, and they are goofy and they make cool tanks!

However, most of their tanks are NOT pratical. Hard to clean and maintain. I've seen a fridge tank that was AMAZING a few weeks ago, but how does someone clean a 9 foot deep tank with shelves and items in the way?

Also they had this cool phonebooth tank that again was about 10-12 feet deep. the top of it had like a 3-4 foot clearence from the ceiling. I thought to myself, WOW how are they going to feed and maintain that tank. Well couple months later, that tank was on e-bay lol!

It's cool to see the art of the tanks and the guys are goofy so it's entertaining. Hope not too many fish suffer from this show. But they always start off with nice show piece healthy fish!

You also have to watch the episode where they build QT tanks for a person it was a think of beauty.

Built347
04/29/2012, 11:59 AM
How can u not enjoy this show... its a show about our hobby... its a show about marine aquariums... actually ya your right I hate it. I hate fish. Lol. ????... of course the acclimate.. if they didn't they would not be in business.. they would have 90+% livestock loss...

SushiGirl
04/29/2012, 12:53 PM
Other things you don't see on the show:

Driving from location-to-location (except when they transported sharks).
Filling their cars with gas.
Buying plane tickets.
Waiting in line at the airport.
Flying on the plane.
Renting a car at their destination.
Changing clothes.
Sleeping.
Using the bathroom.
Showering.
Brushing their teeth.
Hair & makeup for the show.
Sitting around at home after work.
And much, much more.
Hey, how did Redneck's shirt get dry so fast??? LOL

So do you think none of these things happen either? They even SAID they had to acclimate the fish.

I suppose no one has noticed that after all the comments from the reefing community about the first season that they've started providing more information, such as acclimating fish, the tank has to be cycled, what kinds of tanks/environment some fish need (like the sharks & eels), that sharks will have to be rehomed when they outgrow the tanks, some tanks are freshwater (the fridge) specifically because it would be easier to maintain, etc. These are all things they specifically said on the show so far this season.

It's just like any other show, it all doesn't happen in an hour and everyone knows it with other shows. I don't get why everyone doesn't think it's the same with this show.

I watch American Idol, The Amazing Race, Dancing with the Stars...it's for entertainment. I don't think for a minute that people who watch those shows think it takes 5 minutes to learn a dance, or practice their song, or get from one country to another.

There have been more people led astray in this hobby by other people's advice (friends, LFSs, boards like this) than by the show Tanked. So, if you want to blame Tanked for "false hope" then you better shift that blame to the LFS that sells the newbie who watched the show a tank, sand, rock, salt, and fish all in the same visit.

CMS!
04/29/2012, 12:55 PM
I highly doubt most of the people that are getting tanks on this show take care of tanks themselves. I am sure someone else does the maintenance and the people just do the feeding if that. It also looks like they do edit the show together and that makes it look like the fish were put right in, but we know you can't do that, yet the people with no knowledge of saltwater could be out to lose a lot a money and time. Still in all it is pretty interesting to see the kind of tanks the put together.

dryworm
04/29/2012, 01:15 PM
When I hit the lottery I am getting a bed tank with a sleep number adjustable mattress

91mini
04/29/2012, 02:08 PM
I thought the Mandarin was a bad choice for that tank.

I do enjoy the show and was thinking what someone else mentioned in this thread already about them providing more information this season. I was surprised when they said acclimate and cycle. First thing I thought was, "the producers must be reading the forums." LOL

SushiGirl
04/29/2012, 02:13 PM
The guys from the show were at the last MACNA. The talked to a lot of hobbyists. They don't always get a choice of what stays & what gets cut.

humaguy
04/29/2012, 02:47 PM
they have improved considerably since season 1...

jus1moretank
04/29/2012, 03:00 PM
Just wait till prices start climbing on sw stuff lol supply and demand.

f3honda4me
04/29/2012, 03:46 PM

Buying plane tickets.
Flying on the plane.
Changing clothes.
Sleeping.
Using the bathroom.
Showering.
Brushing their teeth.
And much, much more.

So do you think none of these things happen either? They even SAID they had to acclimate the fish.

I suppose no one has noticed that after all the comments from the reefing community about the first season that they've started providing more information, such as acclimating fish, the tank has to be cycled, what kinds of tanks/environment some fish need (like the sharks & eels), that sharks will have to be rehomed when they outgrow the tanks, some tanks are freshwater (the fridge) specifically because it would be easier to maintain, etc. These are all things they specifically said on the show so far this season.

It's just like any other show, it all doesn't happen in an hour and everyone knows it with other shows. I don't get why everyone doesn't think it's the same with this show.

I watch American Idol, The Amazing Race, Dancing with the Stars...it's for entertainment. I don't think for a minute that people who watch those shows think it takes 5 minutes to learn a dance, or practice their song, or get from one country to another.

There have been more people led astray in this hobby by other people's advice (friends, LFSs, boards like this) than by the show Tanked. So, if you want to blame Tanked for "false hope" then you better shift that blame to the LFS that sells the newbie who watched the show a tank, sand, rock, salt, and fish all in the same visit.
Couldn't have said it better.

bkhunt
04/29/2012, 04:53 PM
I like the show. Shows that with imagination that you can make just about any shape tank you want. I can't imagine what one of those tanks cost!!

psilentchild
04/29/2012, 07:06 PM
I understand that they edit stuff out, but editing has nothing to do with shape of the tank. There is no way that tank will get clean properly or that guy is going to be able to get out any dead fish.

drparker
04/29/2012, 07:17 PM
I saw it for the first time. Enjoyed the entertainment. It's about custom tank builders. The bigger and weirder the better for the TV audience. You're asking should it be done?, The show is not designed to ask or answer that question. It answers, Can it be done?

PintoSeahorse
04/29/2012, 07:27 PM
I find the show interesting just to see what kind of crazy, imaginative tanks they can create. But I always wonder if those tanks come with adequate equipment? They never mention what filters/sumps/refugiums they use, if any. And Im hoping they wait for those tanks to fully cycle?! I have no idea. lol

And usually the people on the show who receive the tanks aren't "fish" people who care to put in the time to maintain and clean those tanks. I mean, it's nice that they put that fish tank over that kid who had cancer's bed in his bedroom, but are his parents going to take time out of their day to take care of it for him? Nope!

Also- I agree with the phone booth tank comments. How is anyone supposed to clean that?! lol

bkhunt
04/29/2012, 07:30 PM
I don't really think the people who purchase the tanks from that company are doing the cleaning of the tanks so they don't care.

I just say watch the program and enjoy seeing the fish!!

f3honda4me
04/29/2012, 07:55 PM
I understand that they edit stuff out, but editing has nothing to do with shape of the tank. There is no way that tank will get clean properly or that guy is going to be able to get out any dead fish.

I'm sure they have creative ways of doing such things.

91mini
04/29/2012, 08:15 PM
Just like all the tanks you see in doctors offices and lawyers offices (mostly high end offices) someone comes in and does the cleaning/maintenance for them. I think that's the bulk of the money that the local fish stores make. It's a guess but they probably set them up or recommend a company to maintain these tanks. The ones in Vegas they may even have a crew that maintains them.

Who knows. It's entertaining even if some of us think that they are putting in the wrong fish for the size or the wrong shape for cleaning. They are raking in the money and have been building tanks long before the show aired so I'm gonna guess that they are doing something right.

Nyc Joe
04/29/2012, 11:15 PM
Wait till you see this new show. Tank kings.
On discovery.

alton
04/30/2012, 06:25 AM
My kids who care less about my aquariums love the show. They like the show because it is funny, I like it because of the neat fish and tanks they show and build. I would rather have them watch tanked versus Jersey Shore. Oh by the way my kids are 18, 21 ,and 24

cfredallen
04/30/2012, 09:14 AM

Although I disagree with a lot of things I see on the show I did like this tank. As others have stated cleaning is most likely done but a professional service. As for removing dead fish I have had several large reefs in standard rectangular tanks from 55 to 180 gallons and have never once been able to remove a fish that has died without removing the rock. Fish always go into a crevice and hide to die. Most are consumed by the cleanup crews before they can be found. So IMHO that is a non issue with the shape of the tank.

Season 2 is definitely better than season 1. Season 1 they showed filling a tank with water directly from a hot water tap then adding ice to cool it down enough to add fish.

LobsterOfJustice
04/30/2012, 09:56 AM
I tried watcing this show, turned it off after 5 minutes. Some nasally italian wife whining about how she had to get in a shark tank wearing a bikini to put the decorations in... just stupid.

Hyperion1337
04/30/2012, 03:16 PM
ugh wow putting in a mandarin in a tank now thats just unethical. I guarantee that its not gonna last assuming that it is a new tank. I've met Brett in person at an LFS in my area and talked to him about it and he told me that they were on animal planet and if it were an educational show it would be on nat. geo for example. Brett is a cool guy in person however, I still cringe when i see them stuff a tank with a ton of tangs (ex. achilles or clown) and other fishes.

grennan
04/30/2012, 03:27 PM
5 minutes of fame on TV and then sell it....at least that is what happened to a first season tank.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Booth-Aquarium-show-Tanked-Animal-Planet-/220855263832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336bffe258

Doesn't stop me from watching. It is entertaining TV.

Alex T.
04/30/2012, 04:08 PM
5 minutes of fame on TV and then sell it....at least that is what happened to a first season tank.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Booth-Aquarium-show-Tanked-Animal-Planet-/220855263832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336bffe258

Unfortunately money and brains don't always meet up. Anyone with any sense would have realized that a tank like that would be nightmarish to maintain. I just can't watch that show anymore. Those guys are brain dead, and should stick to making good acrylic tanks. If you have an interesting theme as an aquarium and it still looks terrible, what difference does it make what the box looks like?

Their customers probably get estimates from aquarium maintenance companies after the tanks start getting dirty and get sticker shock. That's where e-bay comes in.

deepblue68
04/30/2012, 04:24 PM
i like the show just to see what there going to make and the fish there stocking.

Curious George
04/30/2012, 06:49 PM
They are listening because they are spending more time with educationals on the show= explaining what is happening that you don't see. It is a feeble attempt to disuage some of the criticism.

If you guys are reading this, I know you know we know that you are driven by casholla. You are cashing checks and then using platitudes to say how your helping the world (LFS's) by encouraging new hobbyists to spend money. BS. You want money and nothing more. If you can get it by being on TV and getting paid to clown around and play with your big fish bowls and cruddy theme tanks that will end up low balled on Ebay, so be it.

But don't tell me how you help others. I hate that Sh$#!

moshi1ry
04/30/2012, 07:16 PM
They do acclimate, but what's the point of showing acclimation on tv? Like watching paint dry on Holmes on Homes.

The show is cool because unlike OCC they all get along, no major fights like all reality shows, and they are goofy and they make cool tanks!

However, most of their tanks are NOT pratical. Hard to clean and maintain. I've seen a fridge tank that was AMAZING a few weeks ago, but how does someone clean a 9 foot deep tank with shelves and items in the way?

Also they had this cool phonebooth tank that again was about 10-12 feet deep. the top of it had like a 3-4 foot clearence from the ceiling. I thought to myself, WOW how are they going to feed and maintain that tank. Well couple months later, that tank was on e-bay lol!

It's cool to see the art of the tanks and the guys are goofy so it's entertaining. Hope not too many fish suffer from this show. But they always start off with nice show piece healthy fish!

You also have to watch the episode where they build QT tanks for a person it was a think of beauty.

...The episode where they built the QT tanks they were all connected to each other and the same water source. Meaning if 1 out of the 30 fish in QT got a disease they all would. Was a really awful design.

BROTHERSPIZZERIA
04/30/2012, 08:29 PM
Did anyone catch where they said they had 200 plus hours in the 50 gallon spade tank yesterday. Now I don't know there labor rate but I would be willing to bet its well over 100 an hour. So at 100 an hour which realisticly its probably twice that that's over 20 grand just for the 50 gallon tank build. Not including equipment or livestock. That's a whole lot of tatooing my friend.

alton
05/01/2012, 06:17 AM

If you watch this episode you will notice the owners where not happy from day one, but whos fault is it when you tell someone just surprise me. How many people in your local fish club jump into a large tank just to sell it a year later, I see it all the time.

Dashiki
05/01/2012, 07:26 AM
The people with the phone booth tank got divorced. Thats why the tank went up for sale. I think they might have been split by the time the tank showed up. It was on ebay through an lfs which had a better description than the listing which included reasons for the sale.

I would assume that most people on these forums do not have the money that these people are playing with (or wasting). The spade tank was at least 15k most of the tanks they show are 50k and up. The people on the show do not maintain the tanks. They would hire someone to wipe their assez in most cases if they could.

They do a lot of behind the scenes acclimation, curing and qt. I dont want to say they are very successful because they could do all this and not make a dime but they are proffesionals at what they do and they are in high demand.

I like the show i like the Tanks. If you dont then dont watch it.

Chromey316
05/01/2012, 08:16 AM
For those who think the time lines are cut, Watch this and listen to him about Some miracle product That lets you use Tap water, And toss your fish in right away.

All i have to say is...:headwally:

muskiewade
05/01/2012, 08:35 AM
I watch the show to see the actual fabrication of the tanks and for when they visit that fish wholesaler in California, I'd love to be able to visit that place. The rest of the show, including the obviously setup skits, can be hard to watch at times.

Hoosierfan
05/01/2012, 11:20 AM
The tank construction is by far the most interesting part of the show.

hoju74
05/01/2012, 12:01 PM
Wait till you see this new show. Tank kings.
On discovery.

I'm looking forward to this too. From the previews I saw, it looks promising.

sponger0
05/02/2012, 08:14 AM
I think people are still missing some things. They are tank builders (primarily). Which is why they are outsourcing for livestock. They build nice tanks. They dont specialize in livestock. They understand the needs. But also they are a business, someone says they want this, if you are a business, you give what the customer wants. If you you deny them that, for whatever reason, this is bad publicity for the company.

I have a guy wo runs a saltwater store here. Some people dont like him. I do. He will refuse to sell some fish to people based on their tanks. This is good ethics. But a customer wont consider it. Its the american way. Instant gradification.

And most of the people who get these tanks, have a nice bank account. And the last thing they are concerned about is how to clean. They will hire someone. Tank maintenance with business's is starting to grow. This is alot more money for them to stay afloat, as they get minimal markup on livestock and equipment, as oppsoed to charged anywhere from $60- 120/hr for weekly or bi weekly tank maintenance.

igot2gats
05/02/2012, 08:36 AM

Buying plane tickets.
Flying on the plane.
Changing clothes.
Sleeping.
Using the bathroom.
Showering.
Brushing their teeth.
And much, much more.

This. If you don't like the show, that's fine. But there isn't anything wrong with what they do. You can't assume on what they're not doing, because there is no evidence of it.

Like others have said. If they weren't good, word would spread fast - especially with the businesses they help, and they wouldn't be around doing what they do.

The time when Brett broke the pinball display was cool, as it was totally real...and then having to scramble to get a new one. They wouldn't do that on purpose especially since it was a vintage pinball machine.

My favorite parts are them going to get fish, and the ideas behind the tanks they build.

sponger0
05/02/2012, 08:40 AM
This. If you don't like the show, that's fine. But there isn't anything wrong with what they do. You can't assume on what they're not doing, because there is no evidence of it.

Like others have said. If they weren't good, word would spread fast - especially with the businesses they help, and they wouldn't be around doing what they do.

Some say the same about cable companies.

But are they perfect, no. By all means there are some corners they cut that I disagree with. But some of their customers leave them with no room for issues to arise. Once again, these are big bank account customers, that want now.

beachbreak
05/02/2012, 11:09 AM
Did anyone catch where they said they had 200 plus hours in the 50 gallon spade tank yesterday. Now I don't know there labor rate but I would be willing to bet its well over 100 an hour. So at 100 an hour which realistically its probably twice that that's over 20 grand just for the 50 gallon tank build. Not including equipment or livestock. That's a whole lot of tatooing my friend.

Can't look at construction that way.

5 guys working for 40 hours (200 hours) total on it and each make $20 an hour (that number is very generous) = $4K in labor. 3K in materials = $7K total cost to manufacture. Sell it for 14K and double your money.

Realistically within that hypothetical 5 man crew - 1 guy makes $20, 1 makes $15 and 3 make $13 or under. That brings the labor in at under 3K for the build and is still way to much.

Just saying....

alton
05/02/2012, 12:06 PM
Getting off the subject but a $10 an hour employee after the cost of business(taxes, insurance, 401k, Social Security, workmans comp, vacation, personal insurance for employee, office cost) cost more like $32 an hour with profit.

sslak
05/02/2012, 12:18 PM
The only one that bothered me was a big L shaped in-wall. They showed them filling it from the on-site plumbing (copper) with tap water (yeesh..ok...i guess).

THEN they mentioned how worried they were because the only water line was HOT water, and they had already received the shipment of fish in boxes that were going into the tank. So the boxes of fish were sitting waiting for a tank that wasn't even full, cycled, the right temp, or even MIXED WITH SALT.

THAT bothered me.

How can you dump fish into a tank the same day you fill it with hot tap water. I pretty much stopped watching after that.

sponger0
05/02/2012, 12:54 PM
The only one that bothered me was a big L shaped in-wall. They showed them filling it from the on-site plumbing (copper) with tap water (yeesh..ok...i guess).

THEN they mentioned how worried they were because the only water line was HOT water, and they had already received the shipment of fish in boxes that were going into the tank. So the boxes of fish were sitting waiting for a tank that wasn't even full, cycled, the right temp, or even MIXED WITH SALT.

THAT bothered me.

How can you dump fish into a tank the same day you fill it with hot tap water. I pretty much stopped watching after that.

This is where i have continued to express my opinion on these guys. They build great tanks, but suck at filling them. :deadhorse:

Cicatrix
05/02/2012, 05:03 PM

THAT bothered me.

Don't forget the ice they added to bring the temp down. :twitch:

kirkaz
05/02/2012, 06:05 PM
I find the show very entertaining, though certain aspects are a bit frustrating to experienced hobbyist, and hopefully not damaging to new ones. Of course it's made for TV, I once did a golf lesson for TV that was condensed, I thought they cut every piece of good info, they were more concerned with interaction than my golf instruction.

I am annoyed that Brett Raymer promised me a quote over 2 weeks ago on 2 tanks for our new home build....Still waiting!:uzi: