PDA

View Full Version : GFO cause sloudy water?

Finland
04/29/2012, 02:37 PM
I recently re-built my 180g tank and everthing has finally settled down and doing good. Yesterday I put the gfo reactor back online and today I woke up to cloudy water. I don't know if it is a bacteria bloom or precipitate. I tested water and alk is at 9.6 and ca is 450. This is where I keep it and it holds rock solid. I was just wondering if adding the gfo back on-line could cause the water to get cloudy. Not real bad cloudiness, but definately noticable. Water is usually crystal clear. All sps and livestock are looking good.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/29/2012, 02:57 PM
When you say back online, was there used GFO and old tank water sitting in it?

If fresh, did you rinse the GFO?

Finland
04/29/2012, 04:21 PM
When I say back on-line, I mean I stopped the gfo reactor when I took down the tank and rebuilt it. Had been using a gfo reactor for years. This build has been up and running for a month and a half, give or take. Reactor was cleaned and new gfo was used and rinsed well before putting on tank. The cloudiness is a white haze in the tank. The reason I am asking if gfo could cause clouding, is that is the only thing I did in the last week to the tank. Yesterday water was clear, I started up the reactor and today it is hazy. Checked the parameters for the 3rd time today (lol) and all is good. I am guessing a bacteria bloom but just wanted to ask if maybe it could be the gfo causing precipitation. Skimmer is acting normal though.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/30/2012, 04:57 AM
In that case, cloudiness from the GFO is not common, and is probably not directly caused by it. GFO wouldn't generally cause a bacterial bloom.

eyesinthedrk
04/30/2012, 11:42 AM
this has happened to me a few times. in my case it was dust caused by too much tumble. you can either slow the flow or add more GFO to weigh it down. It will usually clear up in a day or two with no ill affects.

Finland
04/30/2012, 05:15 PM
I really don't think it is from the dust. Too white in color, besides, I rinsed the gfo quite well before I put it on the tank and the flow is fine. Still somewhat cloudy today, but all livestock seem unaffected. I guess I won't worry about it.