PDA

View Full Version : Fish breeding without seperate tank

doctormario777
04/29/2012, 09:00 PM
Hi, I was wondering if there are any species of fish which can be bred in a reef tank without taking special care of the fry? By this I mean, are there any fry out there that can fend for themselves and find food in a live rock setup, even if the success rate is much less than it would be in a setup where the fry are removed after hatching. Thanks!

jeff@zina.com
04/30/2012, 07:58 AM
Bangaii do okay, some pseudochromis might, even some clowns can. The problem is the larvae/fry get eaten first. Or sucked into the filter system.

Jeff

NirvanaFan
04/30/2012, 09:55 AM
I'd suggest bangaii. There's always a need for captive bred.

doctormario777
04/30/2012, 11:12 AM
Any suggestions other than cardinals? I'm not really a huge fan of them.

Also, got any ideas for things I could do to avoid filter deaths? Maybe placing the intake underground or really high in the water column or just behind something?

doctormario777
05/02/2012, 11:01 PM
Bump

moshi1ry
05/02/2012, 11:05 PM
I think all fry fish are going to require some seperate care especially if you want to actually breed them successfully. Even if you only have a 20 gallon to put the fry in i would still think your going to get better results. Its to hard to raise babys and give them the special requirements without a separate tank. Maybe a cool nano cube could be an option? thats my plan atleast for my clowns.

Luis A M
05/03/2012, 12:14 PM
I think all fry fish are going to require some seperate care especially if you want to actually breed them successfully. Even if you only have a 20 gallon to put the fry in i would still think your going to get better results. Its to hard to raise babys and give them the special requirements without a separate tank. Maybe a cool nano cube could be an option? thats my plan atleast for my clowns.

Which holds true also for FW fish.The fry is raised in separate tanks.
Hippocampus zosterae can be raised with their parents and eating the same food.;)