PDA

View Full Version : In Tank Refugium Flow

Ryand63
04/30/2012, 07:23 AM
So I got this breeder box to use as a smaller in tank refugium 5X5X6 for my 29 gallon. My plan is to put some live sand, LR rubble and then a clump or two of chaeto for growing a supplemental pod population. But my question is regarding the flow. Usually i know most people use a small powerhead for flow but this breeder box (see pics) has alot larger openings for flow and I'm not relying on it for nutrient export. So i was wondering if you all think it could just get the flow form the normal flow in the tank?

Playa-1
04/30/2012, 09:01 AM
I think the flow from the tank will be fine.

Ryand63
04/30/2012, 09:08 AM
thanks for the response! I'm thinking with all the turnover I have in the tank....about 40X it should be fine, just wanted to get some other opinions..

peppie
04/30/2012, 08:40 PM
Tank flow would be just fine for the purpose you will be using it for.

lmsmith
04/30/2012, 09:24 PM
So I got this breeder box to use as a smaller in tank refugium 5X5X6 for my 29 gallon. My plan is to put some live sand, LR rubble and then a clump or two of chaeto for growing a supplemental pod population. But my question is regarding the flow. Usually i know most people use a small powerhead for flow but this breeder box (see pics) has alot larger openings for flow and I'm not relying on it for nutrient export. So i was wondering if you all think it could just get the flow form the normal flow in the tank?

That's a really great idea, I might steal it for my new tank!

Ryand63
05/01/2012, 07:39 AM
That's a really great idea, I might steal it for my new tank!

Thanks! I really got the idea from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx7NB-CWk2c

The fish I want most is a mandarin down the road so I want to start growing my pod population so 8-12 months down the road I can get a mandarin and keep him happy and fat!