PDA

View Full Version : Kalk in ato or Kalk reactor for 40 breeder

Indiana Reefin
04/30/2012, 06:19 PM
What to choose for a 40 gal dominate Sps tank?

yeloowtang
05/01/2012, 09:09 AM
both will work well !!

i went with a reactor because i like the fact i can adjust and fine tune the amount i dose and time..
ex: i dose for 15 seconds every 30 minutes between 10pm and 9am (lights out light on)
this way i dose the same amount all the time.
i have my top up bucket that sends water to the reactor and on a seperate pump my top up system.

you also have different kinds of reactors,the one i use stirs all day,all week.
the intake water comes from the bottom and mixes with the slur,the kalk water comes out from the top where it is clear and saturated.this way i can dose when i want and how long i want.
other models have a pump that mixes up every our so you need to time the dosing accordingly,otherwise you will send slur in the tank..

using the top up water with kalk works but in different seasons your evap changes so this means you will be dosing more or less depending on evap..

i would say my reactor kept everything in check for about 1 year,i then needed to add the CA reactor because my corals kept growing and they consumed more then what the kalk could keep up with. 92g with many sps and clams.. :)

hope this helps

steff

Indiana Reefin
05/01/2012, 12:43 PM
Wow. Thanks for your help Steff. I am going to look into this. I will start out with Kalk then eventually go with a reactor. It will take a while in a 40 gallon tank though.