PDA

View Full Version : muchroom coral

sbazain
04/30/2012, 10:13 PM
I just put a muchroom coral in my 30 gl tank and been noticing that at 80 degrees thy tend to close when it drops to around 76 ,77 they open up now my question is what do I do when i put different corals in the tank also have to worry about the fish:crazy1:

Chaotic Reefer4u
04/30/2012, 11:07 PM
Im pretty sure that youll be ok they are just adjusting to the new environment hope this helps

Ron Reefman
05/01/2012, 05:42 AM
And it's not a good idea to have your tank going from 76 degrees to 80 degrees in less than 24-48 hours. Most fish, corals and inverts can tolerate a reasonable range of temperatures, but they don't deal as well with having the temp change over a short time frame (short being 24 hours or more). Add a heater, add a fan, add a chiller, do whatever you have to in order to get a stable temp.

R_Hudson
05/01/2012, 07:15 AM
Yeah, if youve got a 3-4 deg. temp swing over the course of 24 hrs all your animals are gonna be under stress, each animal will respond differently to this enviroment. Try to get your temp as stable as possible at around 80* let it settle down for a week, and see what the mushrooms do

sbazain
05/01/2012, 10:14 AM
I've tried but maybe my heater is to small it will keep the temp stable at 80 all day but at night when the a/c is going it drops about 3 dg, in the morning when the lights go on and the a/c goes back to a more hot temp then it rises back to 80 this an every day thing I think thats bad :headwally:

R_Hudson
05/01/2012, 10:30 AM
Id recommend getting a heater that can sustain your tank

Reeferz412
05/01/2012, 10:50 AM
Spend the money to buy a suitable heater... you are buying corals which will cost more than a heater in the long run.

disc1
05/01/2012, 11:37 AM
You're talking g about the temp dropping at night. Are you sure the mushroom is closing because of temperature and not just because the lights are out. They normally do that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sbazain
05/01/2012, 11:40 PM
yes they do close at night but during the day when I first introduced them into the tank they where opening huge all day but then a few days later they started closing and now they only open a little bit maybe is the heat swing thats doing it .Also I have a 6500k light in the sump for the chaeto maybe the two lights are to much for the day time since I turn the DT of at night the temp comes down to think about it its the heater the t5's and the 6500k during the day what do you think:crazy1:

HaKs310
05/01/2012, 11:55 PM
So they are open during the day and close at night? This is normal.
You also mentioned that they were huge when you first got them. Seems like they have acclimated to your tank and lighting so do not worry about it.

As far as the temperature; you will get different answers on this one. Some say keep it stable, other aim for a swing. I personally see nothing wrong with a 2-3 degree swing throughout a day. I would try raising the temperature up a bit to something around 79.5-81.5F.

I also noticed people recommend a larger heater without asking what size heater you currently have. Also, have you calibrated it against a thermometer?

mikefab
05/02/2012, 06:45 AM
Get a larger heater and put it in when you're going to be home for a while and can monitor the temp to make sure it doesn't get too hot. I only have a 16gallon, but I like it very cold at night when I sleep, and I was having this problem of it dropping to about 76 at night as well. I had to get an oversized heater for my tank (I'm not sure if I switched to a 100watt or a 150watt) to keep it consistent. I had to spend a day adjusting it to get it stable at 79, but since the temp doesn't swing at all with temp changes in my house, and I have 2 thermometers in there and check a few times a day.

sbazain
05/02/2012, 11:41 AM
On the heater, by the gallons I was reading is to small for a 30 gl it should be 125 watts I checked mine and is a 60 watt maybe that's one of the reasons too will keep on trying based on all your recommendations sure i'll get to the rut of the problem thanks will let you know :beer: