PDA

View Full Version : diy herbie overflow help

dunk373
05/01/2012, 12:44 AM
I want to drill my 150g tank make an overflow and use either bean or herbie style overflow. i would like the overflow to handle 3000gph. I was going to use 1" bulkheads thinking with one at full siphon it would pull a lot of water, but now im doubting the amount it can handle. I am wondering how big the bulkheads need to be, how big of an overflow should i build and can i tee the two drains together after the valve and jump the pipe size up after the tee? I don't want to drill three holes in the floor, but i will if i have too. The reason for so much flow is I plan on a bigger tank in the future.

dunk373
05/01/2012, 02:53 PM
bump

reefermad619
05/01/2012, 03:00 PM
All your Qs have been answered in both herbie and bean's thread. You should take a look at em. That have a bunch of post with deviations from the Origanl plans, and also show if the work or not. Plus pics of how they built em. Theyre good reads.

dunk373
05/01/2012, 04:10 PM
i read beans and didn't see anything addressed with the basement and tying them into a single pipe i didn't read it all but i don't think i can lol

uncleof6
05/01/2012, 05:03 PM
Tying the pipes together will create interaction between the three lines, this is undesirable. Tying the siphon to either of the other two pipes, will allow air into the siphon line. The siphon line is a siphon, because no air is allowed into the line.

Tying the open channel, and emergency together, since both already have air in them, may or may not create a noticeable issue, however they will still interact to some extent.

The idea behind this system, is that to create a flood, 2 lines need to block. Even with two blocked lines, there may not be a flood. Tying two lines together, namely the open channel and emergency, would create an area in the system where a single block will flood the system. This being below the tee, tying the two lines together. Because there is already water flowing in the open channel, it is a plug risk, not getting into probabilities, it can happen.

kory1006
05/01/2012, 06:55 PM
Curious as to your last sentence; your overflow is going to be for your 150g right? If going with a herbie, I think a 1" pipe will be more than enough flow for a 150g tank. If you wanted to you could go with a 1.25", but then the bulkheads get rather large.

1" full syphon should be around 900gph, and 1.25 is around 1500gph. If you really wanted 3000gph, you would need to go with 2".

CHSUB
05/01/2012, 08:31 PM
at full siphon a 1 inch can easily handle 3000 gph!!!

daplatapus
05/01/2012, 09:20 PM
It's really impossible to know without head height as the more head you have the more flow you'll get. Use bean animals calculator to figure out your flow possibilities at:
http://beananimal.com/articles/hydraulics-for-the-aquarist.aspx

dunk373
05/01/2012, 10:29 PM
i am loving the setup and the possibilities. I am scared to tackle this and run into issues since the tank is up and running. i checked the flow calculator it says with a 12' drop its like 4800+gph plenty for me. i have decided to run three separate lines. valve the siphon at the sump and now I'm contemplating using a small coast to coast to avoid taking up too much room in the dt and drilling three holes in the back of the tank adding an external box and then doing the bean there. i know this says herbie but i have decided to do beans.the tank is 48" long and will have a piece of acrylic cut 4"x48" i am planning on siliconing this inside the tank at an angle then attatching the 3/8 glass with silicone to the back of the tank