PDA

View Full Version : What kind of paint for Canopy

FishinSyd
05/01/2012, 03:26 PM
I just bought an unfinished wood canopy for my tank. What kind of paint do I use? Also do I paint the uderside and do I coat it with a sealer?:hmm6:

kory1006
05/01/2012, 06:57 PM
Use latex based paint/primer. Something like Kilz will work for a sealer. And I would suggest painting the underside.

bmiller1234
05/01/2012, 07:12 PM
Why not try and use search feature on this forum or google aquarium stand painting?

muttley000
05/01/2012, 07:46 PM
Do yourself a favor and use a gloss product if sealing or painting. I would do the inside for sure. I have used gloss white and also have used gloss polyurethane on the oak canopies I have built. Either way make sure you let it cure until you can't smell it before you put it over the water, Putting it in the sun after it has dried for a day will help speed that process.

PS. Feel free to ask any question you have here

FishinSyd
05/02/2012, 09:50 AM
Thank you Muttley000 and Kory1006. I appreciate your help! It is nice to hear other people's experiences and how things work out as opposed to GOOGLING everything! If everyone googled there would be no reason for a forum. Thanks Again!

sammy77
05/02/2012, 10:10 AM
Interesting thread. I love this place. I am purchasing a stand for my 220gal, do you guys recommend painting a new stand as well?

Man, I feel like a newb again. lol

FishinSyd
05/02/2012, 10:42 AM
This is the best forum I have found. Everyone is very helpful! I got nothing for the stand as I didn't even know what to do for my canopy! LOL Black gloss paint it is!

cFloor
05/02/2012, 11:26 AM
as a house painter, I decided to use Benjamin Moore Aura, interior semi-gloss. Although this paint is 2-3Xs more expensive than the paints that are sold at Home Depot for example, it dries much harder, lays flatter, and lasts longer. I'm always happy to spend the extra money for good paint.

mm949
05/02/2012, 02:26 PM
not worth painting.....will dry rot from the salt moisture and flake off. use a clear poly to seal the wood

woganaga
05/02/2012, 05:45 PM
The outside are you planning on staining or painting? If it is not free of blemishes, high gloss paint will show all them and brushstrokes.... I like the Aura line but if you are OK working with oil based, take a look at satin impervo also by Benjamin Moore

tgunn
05/02/2012, 06:44 PM
I have used a product called Varathane colors in plastic. Its available in a high gloss white and goes on to a nice enamel like finish. Lasted years in the canopy of my old 140g with no issues.

On the outside I used an exterior satin spar urethane.

This time around for my nano I just used the spar urethane inside and out.

hscoert
05/03/2012, 04:38 PM
Following along on this one! :) Looks like very good info

Donw
05/03/2012, 04:58 PM
I would not use a house paint if you can get around it. If you have access to a sprayer or know someone that does your better off using a wood finish. Even a precat lacquer would seal better but a conversion varnish tinted to your color would be best. Black and white is available premixed in most brands. If its just the inside you can add a retarder and just brush it. For the outside I would definitely use a furniture finish whether or not its a traditional or a solid like black or white. House paint looks like house paint. House paints are a coalescence finish and rely on the rough surface for adhesion, alot rougher than hopefully your stand.

Don