PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crab

xCry0x
05/01/2012, 10:58 PM
I hate hitch hiker crabs so much.

I was just sitting watching tv, looked over at my tank and saw a giant claw reaching up out of the rocks towards one of my cloves.

Went and dug up a pair of tweezers and tried to yank it but it got away. Got the flashlight out and found what looks like a giant gorilla crab the size of my female ocellaris - it then retreated back into the rock work.

I only have a 25g tank so it is blowing my mind that the biggest creature in my tank could be this damn crab lol..

Just needed to vent.

Back to putting a shot glass in the tank although I am 1/5 catching crabs with a shotglass + shrimp meat.

I want to catch this mofo so I can throw it into the aggressive FO tank in my office. Between the clown trigger, spiny puffer and the wrasses that crab will get torn up.

hollister
05/01/2012, 11:07 PM
Its better to lose him then anything on the rock. A fresh water dip will help remove him.

tkeracer619
05/01/2012, 11:29 PM
Use a glass. A shot glass is too small.

xCry0x
05/02/2012, 09:21 AM
Use a glass. A shot glass is too small.

Yea I woke up this morning to everything in the shot glass being gone.. lol.

I thought about pulling the rock out yesterday but then it moved deep into the rock work.

xCry0x
05/31/2012, 10:13 AM
Woke up this morning and saw the mofo out in the open, reached into the tank and speared it with my finger then brought it into work and fed it to our tank.

The harlequin tusk got the majority of the crab with the formosa wrasse coming in 2nd getting part, our spiny puffer was too slow to get in on the action and the trigger only got a leg. The tusk paraded around the tank with the pincher in its mouth for most of the morning lol. (was dead before I fed it to tank, I cracked it's shell when I speared it.)

http://www.digital-anarchy.com/imagehosting/1684fc7985238358.jpg

Thinking gorilla? it is hairy with big black claws, although I caught it eating a nori sheet.

jprime84
05/31/2012, 12:33 PM
I have never had a hitchhiker crab, but I love my emerald crab. He eats my turf algae which makes me happy.

xavi_west
05/31/2012, 01:12 PM
that looks like an emerald crab

RyanSweatt2004
05/31/2012, 01:13 PM
looks like an emerald crab to me. If the tips of the claws are spoon shaped its a good bet its a good crab. If they are pointy tipped claws then its a safe bet it will become a fish and coral eater.

SushiGirl
05/31/2012, 06:48 PM
Does look a lot like an emerald. Could be a related type of Mithrax.

thewire
06/01/2012, 06:29 AM
lol he killed a good crab