PDA

View Full Version : Gum Drop Coral Croucher HELP Please!!

Blitzburggirl
05/02/2012, 08:39 AM
I have a problem, and it's making me sad, frustrated, and angry. Most of all- sad. worried2 Let me set the stage....

I bought a running 60 (had been running for years) with a S gigantea in it. Move and set that up Feb 4 2012. No cycle detected. Gigantea and corals look GREAT. Purchased a gum drop coral croucher and mystery wrasse from Divers Den early Feb. QT'd (in a different tank) for about 2 weeks and verified the 60 was still stable. Added them to the 60 the last week of February.

March 24th, I broke down my 180 tank, and the only animals I kept were my clownfish pair (breeding percs) my potters angel, and a serpent star I've had nearly 3 years.

I'd had my Potters angel since Dec 2010. It was gorgeous. Mostly blue, the most electric blue I've ever seen. It was a jerk. It was the only fish I had that would stand up to my purple tang.

My clownfish were at least 3 years old, and I'd had them for 2 and a half of that. She was hosted by my LTA, a haddoni, and then the gigantea.

So, the tank is 60 gallon cube, MP40, 250w MH and - Potters angel, 2 percs, gigantea, mystery wrasse, gumdrop coral croucher. Starfish, snails, hermits and corals. No biopellets, no reactors, no dosing.

Sounds great, right?

Not so much.
Last Monday (the 23rd) the Potters ate GREAT. As always. Then, Tuesday, when I got home, he was laying on his side, dead, on top of a chalice. The chalice was about 2 inches across and circular. The entire chalice was smoked (goo.) I figured the gig got ahold of the angel, but it was strong enough to get away, but still had tentacles stuck to it, landed on the chalice, and the sting plus rotting angel smoked the chalice. I hated it, but, there was nothing I could do, right? I removed the body :(
I tested my water...
Nitrate 10 API
Amm undetectable API
Nitrite undetectable API
pH 8.0 API
And did a water change.

LAST NIGHT! I got home, and my female clown was looking "foggy" and swimming weird.. I took my son to soccer, and when I got home, she was in the opposite corner of the tank, on her side, barely breathing. This fish NEVER left her anemones, unless it was to grab food, and returned quickly. She was 100% healthy in appearance. I'm sooooooooo dang mad!!
I used my feeding tongs to nudge her. She barely moved. Hate me or not, I prepared an ice bath and put her in it. She's frozen in a bag in my freezer now.

Here's the deal. I tested my water- again last night. Parameters were all the same, I also tested salinity, and it was 1.025. I have no idea what the heck is going on in my tank, and it is infuriating me. These are fish I've had for a while. The mystery wrasse looks fine, as does the croucher.

I told you the theory I had on the angel. But that can't be the case with the clown. The male clown, which is very melanistic, looks great as well. The croucher has been perching in an acro at the front left corner of my tank, the clowns and the gig are more toward the right. The idea was brought up last night, that the angel (a very aggressive angel) and the female clown (was getting ready for another spawn, ovipositor was out) are the two fish in the tank, most likely to go after the croucher.

I know DFS has these guys regularly, and that they get snapped up quick. So, I know there are more and more people with them now. Anyone have any feedback as to aggressive (or defensive) hits on other fish? I've not seen any interaction between any of the fish and the croucher.

Help! Ideas PLEASE!!!

R_Hudson
05/02/2012, 09:50 AM
WHen you removed the 2 dead fish from the tank, were there any markings on them? Like they had been in a fight, or something like a crab or shrimp got ahold of them?

I know I had an issue a while back with a wicked hitchikerthat killed 4 fish before I figured out what it was.

Bongo Shrimp
05/02/2012, 04:32 PM
The coral crouches are very VERY timid and I doubt so high that the coral croucher attacked the clown that I'll say I'm 99.99% sure it didn't happen. Thye pretty much just sit there all the time. Plus the sting is supposed to be rather mild compared to other scorps.

namxas
05/03/2012, 09:25 AM
I agree with Bongo,

I guarantee you that the croucher had nothing to do with the clownfish. If anything, and I doubt even this scenario, the clown attacked the scorp and got stung for its trouble.

To be honest, I'd have warned you off of putting a croucher in with nasty fish like clowns.

Blitzburggirl
05/08/2012, 08:32 PM
Hmmm ok, checking in.... I'm wondering, and am pretty sure you guys are right... There are no marks in the Croucher.... And, nothing that looks like battle on the dead fish. I don't understand it. 15 years in the hobby and I chalk it up to bad luck? I haven't lost but 2 fish in the last 4 years. So..... What gives then?

anbosu
05/09/2012, 08:21 AM
You probably had a disease that only killed the two fish or your anemone got them.